FYI tool and cutter regrinding

It's an old problem, I've got a Kennet but quite frankly it, and I, have limits when it comes to regrinding end mill cutters.

From commercial shop experience I know all about commercial re- grinding, but was never really aware of costs per unit, you just sent them off once a week and were invoiced once a month, obviously it was cost effective, but I didn't actually know, particularly in the light of cheapo chinese cutters, how it worked out for the hobby user.

I decided to find out, so I took a selection of seven of my most buggered end mills ranging from a 3mm ball nose to a 12 mm end, mixture of 2 flute and 4, mixture of centre cutting and not,

and sent them off to (being in Exeter myself) Samwell in Poole.

I deliberately selected these seven because they were so bad there was no way I could fix them myself with the Kennet, and also because although these were all quality european HSS, it is possible to buy new replacements from as little as a few quid a pop.

A week to ten days and =A327 inc recorded delivery postage both ways they are all back, all CNC reground, with flutes for example every bit as sharp as you could want, they will cut paper like a knife.

This is probably half what it would cost to buy new replacements, eg Javelin.

If you look at the picasa photos, a couple of these mills went off so damaged the only way they could have been worse was if they had been broken.

So no commercial interest myself other than a satisfied customer.

Prices are

For cutters upto 11mm diameter 2 flutes =A32.11 each + vat Upto 20mm diameter 2 flutes =A32.97 each + vat

For cutters upto 11mm diameter 3 flutes =A32.55 each + vat Upto 20mm diameter 3 flutes =A33.33 each + vat

For cutters upto 11mm diameter 4 flutes =A32.78 each + vat Upto 20mm diameter 4 flutes =A33.77 each + vat

Payment by cash / PO / cheque only, no plastic.

Contact Lee

Samwell Tooling

29 Benson Rd Nuffield Ind Est Poole Dorset BH17 0GB

tel 01202 687258

e-mail snipped-for-privacy@samwell.co.uk

Reply to
Guy Fawkes