MEW and ME

I see that David Clark the editor of MEW has now taken over the editorship of ME as well.

Hopefully it may breath some fresh life into that magazine as it has been going downhill rapidly of late.

Reply to
John Stevenson

Whatever happened to Ted Joliffe?

Steve R.

Reply to
Steve R.

Was it Dave Clark who stayed up in the sticks in Perthshire.or am I thinking of someone else? Mark.

Reply to
mark

Seems to be a destination for MEW editors of late - David Fenner (previous Ed) lives up there, but David Clark is even further North - right up on the North coast not far from Jon O'Groats.

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

Yes.

Reply to
Boo

Dave Fenner it was.Remember buying an old automatic lathe from him which when I got it fixed ran forever and made a fortune.Sold it when the job ended and regretted it ever since.

Reply to
mark

Just as long as we don't see the same as I had with another couple of Magazines - no longer subscribed to - with the same editor. The same articles appearing in both.

A recent article in the MEW Workshop series was very similar to an article in the MEW Setting Up a Workshop Special.

Reply to
houstonceng

Still active in the bedford SME as far as I know.

-adrian

Reply to
Adrian Godwin

Good! I had some correspondence with him 18 years ago. I was supposed to do an article on old and unusual watchmakers tools. Then a burglar stole the tools while I was out. 10 years went by before I recovered them. :(

Sorry Ted!

Steve R.

Reply to
Steve R.

How on earth did you ever get them back Steve ?

Reply to
Boo

He remembered where he had put them

Reply to
John Stevenson

If he scrapes out all the ME content that's not locomotives and puts it into MEW, then MEW might be very good indeed.

Reply to
Steve

At least he didn't lose a whole floor !

(For newer readers, this is a reference to very old, and extremely funny, posting of John's about a discovery he made in his workshop one day - probably worth a re-post if anyone's got it saved)

Reply to
Bob Unitt

If you peruse your pile of ME from the mid 50s, you will quickly realise what a great mag it was before its varied content was spun out to form Model Boats, Model Engineering Workshop and whatever was the aeromodelling interest.

Perhaps it is time to realise that it is an appropriate point at which the various magazines should be re-amalgamated to form one good read?

Not having seen an issue for over a year, I recently purchased an off-the-shelf edition of Engineering In Miniature which seemed to have fallen down the same hole and was full of articles of the form part 123 of this and part 37 of that, with no introductory text other than "continued from page XXX of the August edition".

Another contributor has slated ME for being a repository for tedious month-on-month editions on how to construct a steam locomotive and EIM seems to be no different.

Perhaps there is only a market for one magazine and that is ME in the form and content that it had in the mid 50s?

Reply to
Amateur Machinist

Better not do that - you'll have the Fife humour police after you!

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

Ted had a bad heart attack last summer and is recovering. I have not spoken to him recently but knowing Ted he is not going to let that set him back. Hope to see him in the IOM again soon.

Reply to
ghowe

More cost cutting by the post Magicalia gang?

Wonder if he gets twice the salary?

Alan

Reply to
Alan Marshall

On St Andrews Night? St Andrews in St Andrews. Stevenson's work- 'May' be seen.= from there

Reply to
ravensworth2674

I kept hounding the suspects, then one day there they were on my front porch.

Steve R.

Reply to
Steve R.