Should MEW change its name?

Latest issue of MEW landed on the mat the other day. Reading some of the comments in the letters page about the recent article on relacing a motorbike wheel (also remembering what I'd read on this group in this thread:

I wondered whether MEW wouldn't be better changing it's name to something a bit less esoteric. From what I've heard their circulation goes up dramatically when they have something sort of universally recognisable on the front cover (ie a motorbike or Mr Fenners young 'un, perhaps not surprisingly there is a vintage car on the front of the current issue)...

"Home Workshop" might fit quite well with the existing subtitle.

Might allow for a bit wider range of articles (could do to I would say

- the current issue is a bit on the thin side).

Just a thought.

Cheers, Scruff.

Reply to
Scruff

Or just "Workshop", which could be achieved by shrinking the "Model Engineer's" prefix over a number of issues until it disappears.

Might also allow Model Engineer to recover some of its former subject matter, at which point I might start buying it again.

Reply to
Charles Lamont

(snip)

For some of us, only when the standard of editing shows some sign of improvement as well. The current edition of ME is littered with the most appalling spelling and other mistakes - unforgivable in a professional journal. --

Chris Edwards

I think "Workshop" has too many connotations and could be construed as referring to a woodwork shop, a car workshop, and so on.

The "Home Machinists Workshop" is already an american title, so I think this would be ruled out.

Perhaps " (The) Metal Workshop" would be a better working title and would retain at least the MW identity of the current MEW.

Mine arrived the other day - my wife buys me a subscription as a Christmas present - and I read the letters page with interest. Clearly there are some confused people out there as one was complaining vociferously about the apparant demise of articles on little model engines in the magazine (which they apparantly have never included anyway).

Note to David Clark: I personally don't think that articles on model construction projcts are needed in the magazine, I think that ME can cover that ground quite adequately if required. I have absolutely no interest whatsoever in making small engines or locomotives etc.

As others have said before, the articles do need some new life injected into them, as they tend to be just so many variations on a theme. It's partly our fault though, as to the best of my knowledge only a few people from here have contributed articles, and we perhaps we all need to do more.

I've been thinking about doing a small piece, time permitting caveat and all that, about my own field of endeavour and regarding plastics, injection moulding and related processes, and the making of mould tools. However I don't really know if this would raise much interest, as they are not after all home workshop projects.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

There are small injection moulding machines around that would be usable in a hobby workshop (I remember one or two coming up for sale here in the past), so an article on the techniques, maybe a how-to-build-one, would be interesting.

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

It would certainly interest me Peter particularly if there is a way to make a small injection molder from the scrap bin.:-)

I can certainly remember making a few plastic parts at college in the dim and dissss...tant past. I've often thought of doing a little vacuum molding to make storage racks for various small items as I seem to remember the one we used was a lash up of angle iron, nicrome (?) wire and some sort of power supply although we did have a proper vacuum pump. Still that was before H&S so I don't suppose any magazine could get involved with that sort of experiment these days. Would be nice to see how plastics are worked properly though.

Regards

Keith

Reply to
jontom_1uk