homemade electric, need advice/help

I am building an electric flier out of a wood dowel, scraps of pine, and a replacement wing and tail from a production model. I have all the radio gear and motors, props and such from a destroyed foamy. I have pictures of it. Please have a gander.

I think that I have a major issue with the center of gravity. I seems to be too far to the rear. Most of the specs are listed on the site. The overall weight is with the battery and servos and such. Also, should have I not angled the wind up? I thought that this might make it handle slower. Im trying to make something stable and possible to fly. I have crashed my foamy dozens of times, so I be in no way shocked to crash the hell out of this. I would be extremely excited to keep it in the air for 20 or 30 seconds before a massive crash. Obviously this is nothing remotely professional, but I was hoping that some of you guys in the know would tell me what would be best for it to be flyable. I was thinking of bringing the tail in a bit and bringing the motor assembly farther out front, and lightening the tail. Oh, the motor is a GWS EP-350. I know this seems silly, but Id appreciate any helpful comments.

Reply to
thateb

Why not detach the wing mount and move it back about 5 inches, that should give you a better chance of re-arranging things to get the CG to about 25% of the wig chord.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Dugan

| I am building an electric flier out of a wood dowel, scraps of pine, | and a replacement wing and tail from a production model. I have all | the radio gear and motors, props and such from a destroyed foamy. I | have pictures of it. Please have a gander. | |

| | I think that I have a major issue with the center of gravity. I seems | to be too far to the rear. Most of the specs are listed on the site.

Your center of gravity is a few inches *behind* the wing? Yes, your CoG is *way* off. It should be 25% to 33% of the length (front to back) of your wing from the front of your main wing.

Move the wing back several inches, or your motor and battery forward several inches (making the nose longer.) Also, that thing to support the tail looks very heavy, and with it that far back, it'll throw your CoG way off. Make the part of the plane behind the wing shorter if you can't move the wing back far enough.

CoG is possibly the most important thing to get right when building or designing a plane. With yours as far back as it is, the plane would probably fly better backwards than forwards :)

| I was thinking of bringing the tail in a bit and bringing | the motor assembly farther out front, and lightening the tail. Oh, the | motor is a GWS EP-350. I know this seems silly, but Id appreciate any | helpful comments.

Not silly. Sounds like what you need to do -- but the needed changes are going to be quite drastic.

If you need more help, take more pictures, especially of everything hooked up and catch the whole plane, being sure to mark where the CoG is.

Reply to
Doug McLaren

skrev i meddelandet news: snipped-for-privacy@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...

I can not se anny ruder? If you dont have control over rudder you can newer fly your aircraft. I have done the same you, but use a stick like taile and a plastic can for boddy.

Reply to
Spookgud