Christmas Edition MEW

Rather nice cover on this one. Haven't checked the contents yet.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

Did your pacemaker cope?

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

Your not an elf'n'sfety man then?

Alan

Reply to
Alan Marshall
1) It's a tacky cover

2) Obviously paid for by Arc Eurotrade - see 'p.3' for the same mode promoting the same model (of lathe)

Is this 2007 or 1977, thought we'd grown out of this by now.

Oh and guess what? p.24 we have the start of a SIX-page 'independent article on the same lathe found on the cover, inside front cover an page 3.

Not impresse

-- Myford Mat

----------------------------------------------------------------------- Myford Matt's Profile:

this thread:

Myford Matt

Bah Humbug?

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

Doubt if she will let you check the contents Peter...

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

Perhaps someone starting might find it of interest? Isn't that why people buy special interest magazines? Autocar springs to mind for those wishing to buy a new car: Road tests, reviews etc?

Tom

Reply to
Tom

At least it's affordable, judging by your sig name you are biast and when was the last time a Myford was affordable?

Lets face it the market is ripe for something that appeals to people starting a workshop and I don't just mean model enjineers. There are far more people nowdays buying tools to support other hobbies than the flat earth society.

As a side note to this thread I was going to post anyway about MEW.

All to often we read about negative points of magazines but never plus sides, well I have been buying mine from W.H. Schmitt and Co. and often missed the odd copy because of various reasons.

In the past i was subscribed but Encanta as it was then fooked it all up. So in the recent issues I spotted subscribe on line, pay by DD and save 15 and a half groats off the price.

So last Thursday night I went on line, filled the boxes in and asked for issue 133, the Christmas issue as the first one as I had 132.

Monday morning issue 133 lands on the doormat, gob smacked or what ?

Reply to
John Stevenson

Storm in a D-cup

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

Hi All. I can just about remember what the contents should look like. Altzheimers is a wonderful thing, you can't remember what you once would have missed T.W...

Reply to
the wizard

Hi All, I, too, am not impressed, not with the cover but by the fact you all seem to get your copies before my subscrition arrives. Regards T.W.

Reply to
the wizard

........ er, now what was I going to post about??? Brad.

Reply to
Brad.

Oh, yes, that's it ! Altzhi .... damn, what was I going to post about ??? Brad.

Reply to
Brad.

Maybe you should change your name from Wizard to Alchemist on the assumption that they post them in alphabetical order!

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Indeed, but "Altzheimers" might be more appropriate!

Reply to
the wizard

Having read this thread I assumed it was the Seag C4, upside is I wont' be tempted into buying one!

After two years I'm still impressed with my C6, so much so I'm thinking of swapping out my Warco mill/drill for the X3.

Still don't understand the fascination with the Myford in 2007. But then again I'm a shiny arse hobbyist not a timeserved engineer.

Reply to
Steve

'The only way to measure standards in a magazine is two ways.

One is by circulation figures and these are published so that [two] advertisers can see if it's worth advertising in them.'

No, there are a lot of ways to measure standards in a magazine. I kno because editing magazines is my job.

I have no problem with plenty of ads, they are important to mos publications' revenue stream. There does, however, need to be sensible editorial:advertising ratio, but again, that is not what it i at issue here.

I buy MEW, for amongst other things, impartial advice. I don't believ I get that when a third party buys the cover, the inside front cove and the next page AND then there is a six-page review of one of thei products a few pages further on. You can have advertising-lea magazines or editorial-lead ones, but they are very different. I anyone seriously believes that this review is independent then the need their head examining.

If an ad? manager or editor in my company behaved like this he?d b fired

-- Myford Mat

----------------------------------------------------------------------- Myford Matt's Profile:

this thread:

Myford Matt

Hi There

Arc Euro Trade did not pay for the cover of MEW 133, the Christma edition. They did pay well for the adverts on page 2 and 3. The lathe on th front was to tie in with the new series and was donated to MEW for th series of articles and then to be given as a competition priz (strictly to a UK reader because of shipping costs). The competitio has yet to be decided.

I doubt if Dave Fenner's daughter will boost sales. Sales are alread increasing although slowly due to recent subscription and W.H.Smit problems, putting it in the woodworking section and also on the men' interest top shelf along with Playboy. Note, top shelf problem was wit issue 132, not 133.

Arc Euro Trade has slashed the price of the C3 in order to encourag new and younger members into starting a home workshop. I fully suppor this policy and will continue to do so.

Sometimes, I will use articles written by advertisers. The article mus be unbiased and well written. Advertisers will not be paid for writin articles, their benefit is free editorial, my benefit is the articl does not come out of my budget which enables me to give a larger fee t authors than I could do otherwise. An example is the article on fittin a readout to a Myford lathe a while back. You did not have to buy th digital readout from the advertiser who wrote the article, you did no have to fit it to a Myford. It was an article that described fitting readout to any machine as an example.

I don't know who Myford Matt is but he is entitled to his opinion. H may well be a Myford user but that is immaterial. What matters is tha he says what he thinks is right. I tend to do the same but do have t watch what I say as I am the voice of Magicalia, MEW anyway.

If anyone would like to write for MEW, send me an email.

Advertising Magicalia normally get finished adverts from the advertiser. They d not have much input in this direction. I have no say in the adverts. I you don't like an advert, there are plenty more to choose from.

Starting from issue 135, there will be 2 more pages of editorial and less of advertising. I hope this will meet your approval.

regards David

Please note spell checking not in operation

-- ME

----------------------------------------------------------------------- MEW's Profile:

this thread:

MEW

Fair enough Dave

-- Myford Mat

this thread:

Myford Matt

Well said Mr. Clark.

It is good of you to put your head above the parapet and tell it how it is. There are those in our midst who seem to take some sort of strange satisfaction from complaining about more or less anything, not necessarily always with the correct facts.

Bit sad really.

Reply to
Mike