gonna move my MSC catalog to the basement today

I'm by myself today. If I had 3 or 4 guys around to help maybe it wouldn't be a problem. I got the thing at the foot of the stairs. I thought I'd cover my stairs with 1" plywood with cleats to turn the stairs into a sort of ramp. Then I could use attach the end of a wire rope hoist to the catalog so that I could sort of slide it down the ramp in a controlled way. Sound feasible?

--zeb

Reply to
zeb7k

Ask for the 2 volume catalog next time and throw (I mean slide) the old one away.

Or maybe, once a day for a while, cut out a few of the pages you aren't likely to use anyway until the book gets light enough for 1/2" plywood and clothesline.

Pete Stanaitis

-----------------

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Reply to
spaco

Reply to
JR North

the CD is even lighter.

John

Reply to
john

sounds doable. Just watch out for paper cuts.

Gunner

This Message is guaranteed environmentally friendly Manufactured with 10% post consumer ASCII Meets all EPA regulations for clean air Using only naturally occuring fibers Use the Message with confidance. (Some settling may occure in transit.) (Best if Used before May 13, 2009)

Reply to
Gunner

Use the web site. mscdirect.com Evenlighter than a CD

Errol

Reply to
Errol Groff

I guess I haven't bought enough recently. Been a while since I got a new catalog. I find things paging though the catalog I'd never find on the web site or the CD. And web-site-wise, I'm afraid I have to give the edge to McMaster - MSC's web search functions are so bad that I can type in keywords for an item I know is in the catalog and the web site won't bring it up until I go track down a catalog number, or guess a PDF page to look at based on what else is on it.

Reply to
Ecnerwal

No computer in the throne room.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Why not? What do you think old laptops are for?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

if you run across a decent older laptop, 600 mhz or faster with a min of

128 meg ram and a 20gig or better harddrive..keep me in mind. Ive got a 250mhz Compaq Armada 170x that I use cause I have the cig lighter adapter etc for it..but its pretty slow for some things. I use it as a CNC machine tool upload/download box and wifi for emails etc on the road. Rugged is good.

Gunner

"Try thinking of the Libertarian Party as a rolled-up newspaper, useful in making the Republican puppy (I've given up on the Democratic bitch) go where he's supposed to -- not on that beautiful antique carpet we call the Constitution." -- L. Neil Smith, Bill Clinton's Reichstag Fire

Reply to
Gunner

No. You need to hire a professional rigger. When they keep the catalog from falling through the floor into the bedroom below, you'll know you made the right decision.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

You are already on my list, Gunner! ;-)

When I take the local 'Veteran's News' website live, I will have a section listing all the spare parts and trading materials. It WILL NOT be linked to anything else on the site, and it's index page will only be given to those I trade with.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Mike, check with Gunner before you box up that computer and buy postage. You may be on his 'Spammer' list.

:)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

How can that be, when I haven't even registered the domain name it will be sent from? ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

:)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

I was thinking that a stanley knife and a 10 pack of blades would let you slit the spine to cut this thing into sections. Maybe then you will only need one helper to get the pieces down the stairs.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

With spamers making up domain names, there is a good chance that they have used *all* possible domain names by now. :-)

I *know* that they have used mine -- heavily. :-(

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

There is a VERY slim chance that its been used.

I was off line for a full year, a few years ago and someone used my Netscape email address to spam with, for months. I had to go to the library to check my email, and would use the entire hour deleting nasty messages from people who replied to that address.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell