got the bent shaft out of the gear OK

I gave up quickly on trying to pull the pin, which I decided wasn't blind after all. I pushed on it a little with the 20 ton press and it punched a nice dimple into the back side of the pin, but the pin didn't budge. So I decided to go ahead and initiate a train wreck, sawed off the gear leaving about 1" of shaft. Then I deburred the stub and grabbed it in a collet on the lathe, and started drilling. I drilled it right through about 5/16" and then started only going a little deeper than the pin. The shaft was 7/8" and I drilled it to 3/4" and then bored it to about 0.860" and then put it back in the press. With only a few thousandths of wall thickness, the pins easily crumpled the wall and the old shaft pushed out. This left the two pin stubs sticking a few thousandths into the gear bore. I just turned over the gear, beveled the old (bent) shaft I'd sawed off a little on the disk sander, and put it in the press and it pushed the pin ends sideways easy as pie. I washed and blew out the gear bore and it fits nicely - very nicely - on the 7/8" piece of TGP 1045 I'm going to make the new shaft out of. Happy, no train wreck after all.

If you followed this thread previously, you will realize that this procedure is a combination of about 3 you guys recommended. Thanks!

Grant Erwin

Reply to
Grant Erwin

This suggests to me that the pin was a taper pin, and you should have tried tapping it out from the other side.

Notwithstanding this suggestion for the future congratulations on your successful repair.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Every time I have to remove a taper pin I get a shiver; I've had to drill out a few even in the best of circumstances.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Thanks for sharing. I always enjoy hearing about successful solutions to the type of problems I run into in fooling with old machinery and vehicles. One good basic policy is "sacrifice the part that is cheapest or easiest to replace".

Don Young

Reply to
Don Young

If you suspect a taper pin, hit both sides of it with a fine file, then compare the opposite ends with a good magnifier. The big end is the Exit side

Gunner

"If I'm going to reach out to the the Democrats then I need a third hand.There's no way I'm letting go of my wallet or my gun while they're around."

"Democrat. In the dictionary it's right after demobilize and right before demode` (out of fashion).

-Buddy Jordan 2001

Reply to
Gunner

This was not, strangely enough, a taper pin.

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Indeed. Ive encountered some pins that were frozen in. The only way to remove them was to either shear them, or drill them out.

Gunner

"If I'm going to reach out to the the Democrats then I need a third hand.There's no way I'm letting go of my wallet or my gun while they're around."

"Democrat. In the dictionary it's right after demobilize and right before demode` (out of fashion).

-Buddy Jordan 2001

Reply to
Gunner

Gee, thanks...I'll print this out and tape it to all the machines...and to all the electric drills.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Only because you were driving the wrong end!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

================ Amazing how a little rust or munge/gunge holds so much better than even the best Loctite :-<

Unka George (George McDuffee) ............................. I sincerely believe . . . banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies, and that the principle of spending money to be paid by posterity, under the name of funding, is but swindling futurity on a large scale. Thomas Jefferson (1743?1826), U.S. president. Letter, 28 May 1816, to political philosopher and Senator John Taylor

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

No..actually. Post mortum showed that the shaft had moved a bit..back and forth and had worn a stage in the side of the taper pin. Trying to drive it out would jam it into the side of the worn stage.

Gunner

"If I'm going to reach out to the the Democrats then I need a third hand.There's no way I'm letting go of my wallet or my gun while they're around."

"Democrat. In the dictionary it's right after demobilize and right before demode` (out of fashion).

-Buddy Jordan 2001

Reply to
Gunner

Indeed. I had to replace a shaft on a Bechler Screw Machine a couple weeks ago.. Simple 17mm shaft with a pulley on one end. The pulley would Not come loose.. since the shaft was 2meters long and badly worn, I cut the shaft and pully loose and put it in a hydraulic press.

It took 35 TONS of press force before it came loose. Made a hell of a noise when it did too. Made everyone in the shop just about piss their pants..(me too)

Inspection showed simple rust and serious pitting inside the pully and on the mating shaft end. This after using a blue wrench, various hammers etc etc.

Gunner

"If I'm going to reach out to the the Democrats then I need a third hand.There's no way I'm letting go of my wallet or my gun while they're around."

"Democrat. In the dictionary it's right after demobilize and right before demode` (out of fashion).

-Buddy Jordan 2001

Reply to
Gunner

Sometimes a tight pin or rivet can be removed by drilling it about 3/4 of the way through with a drill slightly smaller than the OD. Then insert a punch into the hole and hit it as hard as possible with a hammer. The effects of the thin wall and stretching the rivet will sometimes amaze you. This was the method specified by the factory to un-rivet the ball joints on my '57 Oldsmobile and worked when normal driving would not.

Don Young

Reply to
Don Young

Now that is a really brilliant idea, Don! I clipped that and saved it away. Thanks!

Grant

Reply to
Grant Erwin

So, you do "Post Mortums" too? Do you burry the dead like I do by throwing them out the window on to the RR tracks. The bitch is when I toss something out the window it hits something else I threw out the window. Do you still have that Thomson table? What would it take to get running?

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Removing ball joints by normal driving is a technique used with the Morris Mini :-)

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

On Fri, 29 Sep 2006 15:04:01 +0100, with neither quill nor qualm, Mark Rand quickly quoth:

Some of the Fiat suspensions I saw were about that sturdy.

I wish I'd had my camera with me the other day. I saw a Morris Mini

4-WD running down the road about 3' off the ground, big mudders all around. It was hilarious looking. I'd have liked to take a closer look at the transfiguration and whether or not it had a large steel frame underneath it.
Reply to
Larry Jaques

Of course I do PMs. Thats how I "Larn Stuf" ©

When something unusual occurs..I want to know why, so I can add it to my mental data base for the times I encounter it..or something similar the next time.

Ayup..the Thompson table is still here. As for what it will take, no idea. Its complete, got the big cast iron weights also if needed.

You really need to fly out for a weekend, charter a truck going back.

If nothing else...Ill teach you a few tricks with bang sticks.

Gunner

"If I'm going to reach out to the the Democrats then I need a third hand.There's no way I'm letting go of my wallet or my gun while they're around."

"Democrat. In the dictionary it's right after demobilize and right before demode` (out of fashion).

-Buddy Jordan 2001

Reply to
Gunner

I was taught this same technique for removing rivets from lightweight aircraft structure. Works a treat, really. On the aitcraft rivets, after the head has been removed, and prior to driving it out, use the punch to wiggle the rivet in a circular motion. If you do it right, usually it will releive almost all the grip that the rivet has on the sides of the holes.

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

I'd love to! I wish I COULD learn how to shoot but I physically probably don't have the ability to be any good anymore...maybe average. I have an Ex-Ranger shooting instructor on staff and we just can't seem to put the time together. His Nam stories are probably as scary as yours. I thank God I was just a year too young.

Reply to
Tom Gardner