Help Needed With Rev-Counter Gear & Shaft

One of our engines has a nice mechanical rev-counter, driven by a flat belt from the crankshaft. It is pretty conventional but at the end of last season it stopped working.

Having got round to stripping it down, we find that there is an air-vane damper which limits the rate of change in the needle movement, stopping flutter etc.

The vane had come off its shaft, and the shaft has lost one of its bearing ends. The shaft and gear are all one piece and I think that a new shaft end could be fitted into the existing gear, but not with what we have at the factory!

A picture of the remains is here:

The shaft/gear laying horizontally is the one in question, the right-hand end is missing its bearing part, what can be just seen is the larger diameter that acts as a washer against the brass bearing plate to keep the gear end float down.

I really need a 'clock guy' with the necessary small lathe to be able to drill the end out and make and insert a new pin, to fairly accurate levels of workmanship.

It's not a beer token job, real money is offered plus postage both ways.

If anyone can assist, please contact me via my email address below, or my home email:

snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Many thanks,

Peter

-- Peter

Peter A Forbes snipped-for-privacy@prepair.co.uk

Peter A Forbes

ends. The shaft

drill the end out

its not made of aluminium I hope

Reply to
N_Cook

Try

Ther are several "clock guys" amongst its members.

Reply to
Roland Craven

ends. The shaft

the end out

I assume that the bearing pin has broken from the end of the pinion shaft ?. Easy job for a small collet lathe, or even a 4 jaw, but is the shaft is hardened at the pin end ?.

Would offer to help, but no motor on my machine at present...

Regards,

Chris

Reply to
ChrisQ

Thanks, Chris, and all the others who offered help, there was a very good and useful response, very much appreciated.

I accepted an offer from one of the Newsgroup members, and after sending it off last week, I heard back today that it will be in the post tomorrow back to me.

We had a very busy period at work which delayed getting it away, but hopefully it will be resaasembled and run at the weekend.

Its first outing will be at the Dutch engine show held in Nuenen, near Eindhoven.

Peter

Reply to
Peter A Forbes