Great idea to help "military intelligence"

What's that Lassie? You say that Ignoramus27261 fell down the old rec.crafts.metalworking mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue by Sun, 10 Jan 2010 19:18:52 -0600:

I remember when we were looking for sadam, there was a web cartoon that used this idea. There were thousands(millions?) of these little ROVs that were controlled like an online game. The idea was that if you found something interesting, you would flag it and a military tech would check it out. The ROVs looked like little potatoes with spider legs. Sorry, but I have no idea of the url or title or anything.

Reply to
dan

It is, but now under BOINC. I ran seti@home for several years, but when they made the software incompatible to the Red Hat 6.2 I was running at the time, I gave it up.

From the FBSD ports collection:

BOINC is a software platform for distributed computing using volunteer computer resources.

Many different projects can use BOINC. SETI@HOME, for example, has been redesigned to use BOINC and the astro/boinc-setiathome port supercedes the astro/setiathome port.

WWW:

Steve Ackman

What you're describing is like this:

A system very much like you described was used to search for Steve Fossett's plane. You got an aerial photo and marked things that looked like they might be "something relevant" to the search. Thousands of people participated.

It's a good idea.

Reply to
rangerssuck

Stuart is mostly correct.

  1. The question why we are engaged in this war, is completely separate from asking how we can become more efficient at processing intelligence.

2.

Reply to
Ignoramus21235

I'm up for it. I think Texas did something with border cams a while back.

Wes

Wes

Item two was censored by DHS. Move along. There is nothing to see.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

In both cases, before rounds were expended...a large amount of gunfire was seen coming from both locals, while Allied groups were on the ground in the area..and both areas were known "unfriendly" zones.

Its not like anyone was flying a Pred over Manchester...where large amounts of gunfire are often seen with the cops under fire......hummmm......

Anyone got a Manchester drone I could take over??

Load her up with a minigun and Ill be Aok

Gunner

"I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. In my youth I travelled much, and I observed in different countries, that the more public provisions were made for the poor the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer." -- Benjamin Franklin, /The Encouragement of Idleness/, 1766

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Well, it was a bit like throwing a dead rat into a kindergarten (sorry, was ill mannered) - and thank you all for the commendable restraint showed in replies. Went to Tasmania for a week, on the overnight ferry so took the vehicle, did about 800km - lovely place, quiet country roads lined with Hawthorn, excellent food, friendly locals, a big, clear blue sky with fluffy white clouds. Very Nice.

The only "usual suspect" was Gunner, who, as usual, was just plain pig ignorant wrong. Thankfully, his influence on your foreign policy is non existent. (hint:- firing guns in the air at weddings, or indeed any celebration, is a part of Afghan culture. Unfriendly country - your right there Gunner, just about the whole country could be described as that..I wonder why?....)

Andrew VK3BFA.

Reply to
Andrew VK3BFA

How was I wrong?

Indeed the fireing of weapons in the air is part of the culture. Too bad they did it with teams of both Yanks and Brits in the area..where the lead was coming down. And ultimately paid the price.

Bummer eh?

And one should note..that foreign policy killed those people..so what buffoonery are you spewing? That if I had said nothing..those people..a r before..would still be alive?

Sure you arent drunk? Not a good thing do be doing while posting.

Makes you look utterly stupid.

Shrug.

This one?

Or these 5 different ones?

" fact, according to Time Magazine's Tim McGirk, out of 112 Afghans in the wedding party, only two women survived. In this case, it seems that the Americans were fed disinformation by an Afghan official out to settle scores and acted on it.

That makes four wedding parties blown away by U.S. air power in Iraq and Afghanistan since the end of 2001. And there was probably at least one more. Back in May 2002, it was claimed that U.S. helicopters wiped out a wedding party in the eastern Afghan province of Khost, killing 10 and wounding many more. An Agence France Presse report at the time concluded: "A wedding was in progress in the village when people fired into the air in traditional celebration and US helicopters flying over the area could have mistaken it for hostile fire. An aircraft later bombed the area for several hours." On this event, however, the documentation is far poorer."

It would seem reasonable..that one either notifies the aircraft flying overhead that they are not actually being shot at..or wait till the aircraft leave the area before shooting up the skies.

After all...shooting at American Aircraft is something the bad guys do with great regularity..and one always returns fire and kills those shooting at one. Prevents them from getting good at it and actually killing ones troops. Historically..shooting at American Aircraft is a good way to get ones 72 virgins.

So laddy boy..what military service did you do..and in which combat theater did you serve it? One just knows that you have been fired on by enemies intent on killing you. Right?

Gunner

The current Democratic party has lost its ideological basis for existence.

- It is NOT fiscally responsible.

- It is NOT ethically honorable.

- It has started wars based on lies.

- It does not support the well-being of americans - only billionaires.

- It has suppresed constitutional guaranteed liberties.

- It has foisted a liar as president upon America.

- It has violated US national sovereignty in trade treaties.

- It has refused to enforce the national borders.

...It no longer has valid reasons to exist. Lorad474

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Mate, you lost all semblance of credibility when you started raving about "Secret emails" from "High placed patriotic military officers" - your just plain off your face. Almost certainly a decent person, but definitely "Off With The Fairies" re your world view.

Andrew VK3BFA.

Reply to
Andrew VK3BFA

Got cites?

Gunner

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do something damned nasty to all three of them.

Reply to
Gunner Asch