Greyline 2000 Operator Workstation questions

So, anyone know anything about these? Web info seems *very* sparse. I found one new. It appears to me to be a generic programmable serial control panel for large machines. It's got RS-232, RS-422, and RS-485 input and outputs. It's got a four line display and a keypad. It powers up and appears to work fine.

The web info I found shows a program called "GUS" for programming it, and I'm gonna download it. But I guess I'm wondering if it can be custom programmed, or if it only supports some goofy protocols. Anyone used one?

I also can't find any decent documention on programming, so any pointers would be welcome. I'd be interested in using it for an interface to custom microcontroller projects perhaps using a PIC or something. Yes, I know this isn't really metalworking related, but I believe this device *is* used in large metalworking machinery. I gladly welcome corrections on that, though, as I'm not completely sure.

--Donnie

Reply to
Donnie Barnes

Its intended purpose is as an interface to a PLC (programmable logic controller) and it does communicate via some sort of ASCII protocol. I'm not familiar with this unit, but have used several made by Maple Systems. Maple's stuff is quite flexible and can be configured to talk to devices other than PLCs - motion controllers, VFDs, etc. This Maple doc may give you some clues about your device...

More docs here...
Some of the keywords I'd use to Google for more info would be, in various combinations: OIT HMI PLC

Are you sure you can download the software? It's unusual to get programming software for industrial controls for free. There's usually at least a nominal charge.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

Thanks. After two hours of digging last night I found out some decent info. I still am in a bit of a haze about PLC's in general, but I get the jist. I also get that they are systems built out of lots of building blocks with communication bus(es) and are generally pretty much for custom control systems.

Yeah, here:

GUS Level 2 appears to be a software loader that will load it with a commucations protocol from a list (stuff like Allan Bradley protocols, Mitsubishi, Series 2, Omron, etc). I found a PDF explaining the Series 2 protocol and it looks like it could be used without a *lot* of effort to make this thing a generic interface to something else. There's a download for a MicroGreyline (which are part number 1024 and 1025, whereas I have a

2125) that makes it a dumb terminal. I may try putting that on mine to see if it works...if so, that would be *ideal*.

I can't find any code out there that speaks Series 2 already to poke at, but then again, googling for "series 2" or "series two" is WAY too generic. Even adding it to things like PLC didn't seem to help. So either it doesn't exist or I ain't gonna find it without some help. I don't *need* it, but my searching turned up several open source projects to speak some of the other protocols out there, but none seemed to match up with any in this list I have. And none in the list for the program that supports this device say "dumb terminal." :( Closest of what I can tell are the Series

2, but there's also a "Series 2 slave" which might be "dumber."

--Donnie

Reply to
Donnie Barnes

Donnie Barnes wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.localdomain:

Try posting to sci.engr.control I'm pretty sure someone there could help you out.

Reply to
D Murphy

Sweet. Thanks!

--Donnie