1/72 Lancaster Questions

Hey all...

What kits are available in 1/72nd scale for the Lancaster? And what are the strengths and weaknesses of each?

Reply to
Greg Heilers

If memory serves, there have been four readily available 1/72 Lancaster kits.

Early Airfix. This was a typical 1960s kit and it had some major outline inaccuracies. It was superceded by a completely new kit in the late 80s and is now probably only available at extremely inflated collector's prices.

Revell. Available in two versions, a standard bomber and the Dambuster version. Again, there were some serious outline problems, but on the upside, it did have seperate flaps.

Matchbox. Typical Matchbox kit. It had an accurate outline, but very heavy panel lines and a severe lack of detail . From what I recall, it could only really represent a BIII, as the fuselage did not have any side windows. (I'm ready to be corrected here!) This kit may or may not have been picked up by Revell.

Modern Airfix. This was from a completely new tool, introduced in the

1980s. Accurate outline and reasonable detail, including an open weapons bay.

A glance at

shows that the Airfix and Revell kits are available. Given that the Revell one is a dambuster, I think it is likely to be the original mould rather than the Matchbox one.

The Airfix kits are available in vanilla, dambuster and Grand Slam flavours. I reckon this kit is your best option, just pay your money and take your choice as to the version. There are a number of after market detail kits available, including a nice etch from Airwaves that will give you detailed flap interiors and a nice cockpit. There is also a wide choice of decal sheets. The Hannants website will tell you more.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

I don't know for sure - but if you go for the 'Modern Airfix' option - check out the variants.

IIRC the Dam Busters version also contains the parts for the 'vanilla' version - so you get both options - a better buy than just the vanilla.

Like I say, I may be wrong here - but check them out before you buy.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Duffey

The Grand slam one also has all the original parts plus it has paddle-blade props. My kit is moulded in light grey instead of the more common black. On the downside, only the Matchbox kit offers the bulged bomb-bay.

Reply to
Jeff C

Everybody missed the old Frog kit. The molds disappeared into the wilds of Russia and I don't believe they have been issued under whatever was the name the Russian molders put on the kits they issued. Their status is therefore unknown. The Frog kit was the only one that had the bulged bomb bay, kit was accurate in outline, surface detail was light, in keeping with 1/72 scale, only bummer was rather heavy clear parts. This was one of the last kits issued by Frog before they went under.

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

"Enzo Matrix" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

I think I saw a Frog, too.

The Airfix kit is available in a couple of different boxings. One os the BoB Memorial Flight. It also has a Spit and a Hurri in it along with a MK I. You can get a bargain on it if you look around.

Reply to
Gray Ghost

"William H. Shuey" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@starpower.net:

Eastern Express shows this onnthier site. Odd thing is there seems to be some confusion as Frog also appears to have relesed a 1/96 scale version. I've got both Revell kits, the Matchbox and all three of the new Airfix ones (alright so I'm compulsive, what of it?). I kinda wnat the Frog just to round the group out. I saw one kinda cheap at a show but, shockingly enough parts were missing, enough to make assembly doubtful. Clear parts are one thing, I think Falcon or Squadron has usable vac replacements.

Oh and speaking of being obsessive I found the old Airfix book, they are on Ebay occasionally and old booksellers that carry history or model related books often have them. Shop around though I found a few in the states who apparently think these books are the Roseeta Stone pricing them at $100+. I found mine through Ebay and ABE used books on the net. Some of them came from Merry Ole England (I went for the whole Air and Armor series, they were like Lays Potato Chips). Never paid more than $20 plus shipping and they were all in good shape.

Email direct if you want info.

Frank

Reply to
Gray Ghost

Join the club mate... :-)

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

"Enzo Matrix" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Doesn't it suck when you suddenly realize you have to fill out a particular grouping or theme? And expensive.

Reply to
Gray Ghost

I started on my road to rehabilitation this year. No more reading a book then buying kits of everything mentioned. At one point I even started in on buying all the kits of certain types, but I managed to nip that before it got too far.

Reply to
Gary Kato

You must love Hornby!

I want more Lancs - I want a Manchester and a Lincoln!

More worryingly I like collecting heavy bombers

Reply to
Martin

where's that 1/48 halu?

The later Airfix kit is available in several boxings, the original kit has the fuselage opening for the mid-upper turret whereas the Dambusters version has the turret opening blanked out (just like the real thing eh!!) but the Dambusters kit does also include all the original kit parts (including the turret parts) on the sprue, I haven't seen the Grand Slam version so I can't comment

Depending on which version you want or if you want the mid upper opening or not then choose the standard or Dambusters version.

Happy modelling Ant

Reply to
Ant Phillips

so my manchester conversion will need the turret. was it the fn 50 or the earlier skinny, tall thing?

The Manchester had a really weird looking mid-upper turret, totally different from that of the Lancaster. I'm afraid I can't tell you its designation.

Enzo Matrix

Both turrets are Frazer-Nash designs. The Manchester dorsal turret is an F.N.7, as seen on later Sunderlands and early Stirlings. The Lancaster turret is an F.N.50. Drawings of both can be seen on this page

Alan Dicey

i believe sopme early lancs and others used it also.

that's the guy! thank you.

Blackburn Botha!

Bill shuey

Reply to