1/72 Lancaster Questions

Yes, it was the New Jersey that went to Viet Nam. I think the argument was that it was the most up to date, or in the best condition.. Pres Reagan returned them all to service in his huge buildup, and all four went to war aggain in the Gulf. Ron

Reply to
Ron Monroe

There were 4 battleships built in this class, and all are still in existance. The Iowa, Missouri, New Jersey, and Wisconsin. None of these ships have been renamed, and no new ships were given their name. Like many ships, they were updated at different times of their lives. Ron

Reply to
Ron Monroe

Not to be forgotten, there was a fifth hull built (don't know if it was ever christened) and would have been USS Kentucky but construction was stopped and it was held in reserve. Its bow was used as a replacement for Iowa (IIRC) after running aground or somesuch accident... Just a blurb of fluff knowledge...

Frank Kranick

Reply to
The Kranicks

The Kranicks wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@usnetway.com:

And (one of) the engines went to fast combat support ship USS Sacramento (AOE-1). A friend's served aboard before she was decommisioned.

How's that for trivia?

Reply to
Gray Ghost

grey snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Gray Ghost) wrote in news:Xns95C520262213Wereofftoseethewizrd@127.0.0.1:

Brain lapse: Should be "a friend's son"

Reply to
Gray Ghost

No, the NJ was sent to Vietnam, the Iowa was at the time in mothballs.........all four Iowa class ships got major refits in the

1980's and were rectivated (now inactive).

If you want to build a WWII Iowa you need the Tamiya Missouri kit then you need to find the resin and PE conversion set because the ships differ from the 01 deck up.

Reply to
Ron

Kentucky was never commissioned and her bow went to Wisconsin leading to the nickname WisKy.

Reply to
Ron

They don't have engines, they have electric motors powered by the genertors that are driven by the steam plants..........

Reply to
Ron

Actually, there were 6 Iowa class ships ordered. I saw the Kentucky come in to the Patapsco Scrap Co.'s yard back in the late 50's I believe. She had been suspended when 60% complete. The sixth ship, the Louisiana I believe, was also suspended when about 30% complete and eventually was scrapped to clear the slip. The engines from the Kentucky actually powered two of those fast fleet replenishment ships.

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

The Wisconsin was involved in a collision with a Destroyer (which she sank by the way) and it was decided that it would be cheaper to graft the bow of the incomplete Ky on to her instead of rebuilding the bow. The Iowa class (nicknamed the greyhounds) was designed to keep station with the carrier task forces to cruise at 32 knots or better and provide protection against enemy heavy's. By 1944 this was determined to not be necessary resulting in the cancellation of the last two class ships Kentucky and Louisiana. The Kentucky was afloat, The louisiana was still just a keel and frames. There was another BB class after the Iowas in the 70,000 ton range. Heavly armored, fast and armed to the teeth. Right now I believe that the disposition of the Iowas is:BB61 Iowa Initially moored at Bremerton Naval Shipyard after her decommissioning in

1990. In 1998 she was towed to the NETC, Newport, RI. and in she was transferred to Suisan Bay, California The Iowa contrary to some writings is in very good condition Her #2 turret that was damaged from a fire in 1989, was almost completely repaired and almost everything needed to complete the repairs are being stored inside the turret. She may be used as a deck only museum in San Fransisco Bay The Iowa was reinstated on the Naval Registry in Class B Mobilization status on Jan.4/99 BB62 New Jersey Initially moored at Philadelphia Naval Inactive Ships Facility after her decommissioning in 1990. In she was towed to her home state and is now docked at Camden, New Jersey near the former Philadelphia Naval Shipyard, to begin her next duty as a memorial ship. New Jersey was removed from the Naval Registry on Jan.4/99. BB63Missouri Initially moored at Bremerton Naval Shipyard after her decommissioning in 1992.

In she was donated to the state of Hawaii and is now moored in Pearl Harbor The Missouri opened for tours on January 29,1998 Missouri was removed from the Naval Registry on Jan.4/99. BB64 Wisconsin Initially moored at Philadelphia NISMF after decommissioning in 1991, she was transferred in October,1996 to the Norfolk Naval Station piers, where she moved several times a year within the yard to make room for active fleet ships undergoing maintenance availabilities. On May 31, 2000 she was towed to the Norfolk Naval Shipyard in preparation for final transit to the Hampton Roads Naval Museum in downtown Norfolk, Va. While at Naval Station, the ship will maintain it's inactive status, but will have her deck and some areas open for visitors. The Wisconsin was reinstated on the Naval Registry in Class B Mobilization status on Feb.12/98

The Iowas were not steam electric. They were steam turbines(4) delivering a combined 250,000 horse power thru reduction gears to the shafts.

Reply to
ARMDCAV

My Bad. The last Iowa was the Illinois Not the Louisiana. The Kentucky was never cristened though she floated several times. The first time just her keel to make way for higher priority on the ways and then again in 1948 & 50. Cancelled in 1950 at 78% completion.

Reply to
ARMDCAV

Ron wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@rcn.com:

Smartass. 8)

Reply to
Gray Ghost

Reply to
Michael Keown

Actually both a fifth and sixth ship was laid down, and between them they supplied engines for four combat support ships. I think the bow section went to Missiouri. There are pictures of all six ships on the site dedicated to USN vessels (Navy.org?)

Reply to
Claus Gustafsen

Steam turbines drive the shafts, four enginerooms with westinghouse turbines, each served by two boilerrooms.

Reply to
Claus Gustafsen

My mistake: I am reliably informed the sixth ship was the Illinois, not the Louisiana. Louisiana was a name proposed for one of the next class of Battleships proposed, the Montanas ( only 2 of 4 were laid down, but never completed).

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

No Mintana-class ships were ever laid down.

JM

Reply to
John Mianowski

There has been significant mis-information posted in this thread. For starters, the USS New Jersey (BB-62) IS NOT, AND NEVER HAS BEEN the same ship as USS Iowa (BB-61).

The following link is to the Dictionary of American Fighting Ships entry for USS Iowa (BB-61). Note that this is posted on a navy.mil wib site, which means that this is official information provided by the US Navy, not just what somebody thinks.

Following is the simlar page for USS New Jersey (BB-62):

Note that the 2 ships have different launch & commissioning dates, & completely different careers.

Both histories are incomplete, & don't list recent reactivations, much less current status. A site that you & your buddy might be interested in is the USS Iowa Veteran's Association:

BB-61 is currently on reserve status in Suisan Bay & is not available for deck tours, although there are water tours available that can get fairly close.

BB-62 is preserved as a museum in Camden, NJ.

JM

Reply to
John Mianowski

were they upgraded iowa's or a complete new design? i've read the iowa's were upgraded designs.

From what I recall the five Montanas had a fourth turret aft for a total of

12 16" main guns. I'm thinking they were slated to be slower than the Iowas. So depending on which you value more, speed or firepower, will determine whether the Montanas were an upgrade.

IIRC, the old Paul Silverstone USN reference from '65 shows a picture of a Montana test model. I don't believe the program got much further than that. Aircraft carriers and escorts were top priorites for available shipyard slips after Midway.

WmB

Reply to
WmB