Grip range of ER collets?

Up: Zero. Down: 0.5mm to 1mm. I would not go above 0.5mm without need. Smaller diameters (say in the 4mm or below range) have their absolute limit at

0.5mm. That is for ER25. ER16 can handle 1mm down to 2mm nominal size.

HTH, Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

Hello all,

I know at least one of you mentioned it, but I can't find it: how far up/down in diameter can one expect an ER collet to grab something? So far, the only problem I have had is with an 11/64 bit. Options include: (1) tighten more; (2) buy a few metric collets at strategic sizes between the fractionals; (3) wait for the missing back-ordered collet to arrive; (4) turn the shanks on troublesome bits. (3) seems too good to be true but I need to double check the outstanding collets.

Another interesting observation is that the depth below the spindle of the ER chuck/nut and my Jacobs chuck are _much_ closer together than the chuck vs. an R8 collet. I needed to use a hex shank hole saw and had no trouble use the chuck and ER held endmills at the same head position.

Understanding the dials better has given me another option, which is to do the R8 changes with the work out of the way to get extra vertical space.

Thanks!

Bill

Reply to
Bill Schwab