Cheap transfer punch set from HF

Guy, anyone has a transfer punch set from HF? They sell it for $9 Is there any problems with it? Does it make since to go for Fowler $36 set.

Thanks, Alex

Reply to
Alex

Guy, anyone has a transfer punch set from HF? They sell it for $9 Is there any problems with it? Does it make since to go for Fowler $36 set.

Thanks, Alex

Reply to
Alex

They're OK. The hardness is sufficient that the points have not deformed or dulled in mine after a couple years use. Also, they have MANY other uses than just mere transfer punching ;)

JR Dweller > Guy,

Reply to
JR North

JR, what other uses?

OP, I bought a dirt-cheap set from Enco many years ago and they've worked fine for me. I use mine all the time.

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

I have one but I use it on wood, holding up fine... But that is on wood YMMV Marc

Reply to
Marc

I have a set that seems to be holding up although I've only had it for six months. It does get used almost daily, however.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Grey

I've been using mine for a few months on metal, mainly angle iron. Works fine.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

What's a transfer punch set??

Reply to
JWho

I bought such a set from Enco and it has worked well for me on mild steel. However the similar transfer punch sets in the shop here have many bent punches with mushroomed heads. How accurate are you with a hammer?

jw

Reply to
jim.wilkins

On Tue, 01 Nov 2005 05:15:52 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "JWho" quickly quoth:

Ten bucks.

------------------------------------------- Stain and Poly are their own punishment

Comprehensive Website Design ======================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I have had a HF set for a couple of years. The points hold up pretty well but the back end mushrooms pretty quickly. I just touch them up a little on the grinder when they get to bad to fit back into the rack.

Reply to
Glenn Ashmore

Reply to
EdFielder

Reply to
RoyJ

I think they are okay. But I did break the top off of one of the smaller ones once. I had to pay 3 or 4 dollars to replace that one.

Pete Stanaitis

--------------------

Alex wrote:

Reply to
spaco

If you use a rawhide/lead/brass/wood/plastic mallet, they don't mushroom, same thing with other chisels and punches. You don't really need a whole lot of oomph to create a dimple with a transfer punch. Some of the punches I've see at auctions look like they've been used by a gorilla with a 15 lb sledge.

Stan

Reply to
stans4

Reply to
JR North

Stan...I service machines in machine shops..and they DO have gorillas with a 15lb sledge......

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Are you saying that both pieces have a drilled hole, where the bolt threads through one piece, but the bottom piece just has a not yet tapped hole?

Thanks.

Reply to
JWho

My set works fine. Will last a long time if not abused. Mushrooming the tops means you're not using them right. They ar just marking tools. Bugs

Reply to
Bugs

Fowler $36

Rick