modifying C frame motor to use on Jhead?

I have a new 184 frame 3hp motor which I want to use on a Bridgeport J-head. The head it's going on had a real bastard of a motor on it: wasn't a C-frame, the guy sawed off the rigid mounting legs and mounted a 10" disk of aluminum to one end via the 4 end bell screws. The motor was 3450 rpm and ran the head too fast for general purpose use. I picked up a new 1760rpm motor which is a C-frame. I know a 10" circle of metal can be used as the base, since the last motor was set up that way. I was just wondering if anyone knew the dimensions of the 2 motor hold-down bolts on the thing, or knows what the bolt pattern on a 184C frame is.

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

When I converted my Bridgeport clone with a C-frame motor, the motor shop where I purchased the motor had a cast aluminum conversion plate in stock that fits the motor and has two holes that are in the correct position for the motor hold down/adjusting bolts. Here's a pic of the installation:

John Kunkel

Google for "motor nema frame size chart"

Ignoramus8862

Richard J Kinch