technomaNge
Some kind of push in rivet. Go to
and then page 2897 for a start.
-- Regards, Carl Ijames carl.ijames at verizon.net
Reply to
Carl Ijames

On my barbecue, it came with several plastic fasteners. They look like a
bolt, but with the shaft made up of a split arrow head. It holds together
two pieces of sheet metal, and is used by simply pressing the arrowhead
through the holes in the sheet metal, and when it is in far enough, the
arrow points spring outward and it catches, and the head on one side and the
arrowhead point on the other keep it from coming out. All you see on the
outside is the round plastic head.
I'd like to find some to replace the ones that have gone missing. What is
the proper name for these? They are about 5/8" long, have a head of about
1/2", and a shaft diameter of about 1/4". They are black plastic.
Thanks.
Reply to
SteveB
Arrow Clips?
Christmas tree clips?

--Winston
Reply to
Winston
I don't know their proper name, but here's a source for them:
A good auto parts or autobody supply store will have a few choices.
Reply to
Don Foreman
McMaster Carr carries black clip-lock shank nylon rivets which may work: Item # 91020A430. You might also see if your local auto parts store can match it -- ask for =93plastic panel fasteners=94. Maybe they'll recognize it as being used for a particular make of car.
Here=92s some more info on names, dimensions, etc. for these fasteners:
Other links to various auto body trim and panel fasteners:
Denis G.
Plastic won't last a year in sunlight. Use stainless sheet metal screws.
Reply to
Richard J Kinch
There are different grades of plastic. Tye wraps come generally in white and black. The white ones are for inside use and the black ones are for outside use. The white ones would probably not last a year in sunlight. The black ones will last for many years.
I'm sure color is not the only factor here, but just a way of designating the inside/outside use of them.
Reply to
Al Patrick
On Sat, 13 Sep 2008 22:51:41 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, technomaNge quickly quoth:
Automotive trim fasteners, usually nylon.
-- Guard well within yourself that treasure, kindness. Know how to give without hesitation, how to lose without regret, how to acquire without meanness. -- George Sand
Reply to
Larry Jaques
On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 00:35:09 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, Don Foreman quickly quoth:
Winnie got it right with "Christmas tree fasteners" found on the Trim Retainers 1 page above. Better yet, the push-lock rivet style is a reusable fastener. Find them on Trim Retainers 2 page at the above URL.
-- Guard well within yourself that treasure, kindness. Know how to give without hesitation, how to lose without regret, how to acquire without meanness. -- George Sand
Reply to
Larry Jaques
te and black. =A0The
The white ones
or many years.
Generally I prefer metal to plastic fasteners. If Steve has existing =BC=94 dia. holes for attaching the panels, screws for that size hole are a bit big -- unless he prefers the looks of a =93Franken-Barbie.=94 .

If it was mine, I might fix it with =BC=94 metal rivets using a riveter similar to this one:
Regarding plastics surviving sunlight, see:
carbon black & UV protection in plastics (see pg. 4):
For another plastic rivet solution HF tools provides yet another option =96 plastic riveter + (industrial strength) rivets:
Denis G.