Gun Metal Work Up Close

Ran into a cool site.

Saw the Metzger-Sanders gun collection when I was a kid.

SW

Reply to
Sunworshipper

Sunworshipper,

I'm not sure where I stole these from, but check this gallery out:

If you like those photos you put up, you might like my link.

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

Yeah, images ! A lot of the verbal metalworking I don't get. Someday I'll hunt down a Machinery's Handbook and buy it.

SW

Reply to
Sunworshipper

The H&H is really beautiful. Especially the fit.

Reply to
John R. Carroll

For $5 bucks on eBay + a few bucks media mail, one's yours, SW. I got a 14th Edition, printed the same year I was, 1953.

-- Make the best use of what is in your power, and take the rest as it happens. -- Epictetus

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Is there a certain year/era that would be best? Like before CNC?

I'd be too tempted to buy other types of books. I'm looking for a really good one, but unsure how to research which is the best translation and when also like above. Since I'm on the subject, anyone happen to know? Cotton Vitellius A. xv

What is weird, is that there will be cool artifacts like the site buried in the tsunami debris.

SW

Reply to
Sunworshipper

For around 6 frogskins and up, Amazon offers the classic work covering how the Japanese historically renounced a firearm superior to competitive European small arms and largely reverted to the sword:

Reviews are at the link. The book is an enjoyable read.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Reply to
Edward Hennessey

That does sound good, but I'm on a things falling from the sky kick at the moment. $1.59 Best start making a list. Reading is to the point of being lost if I run out of something to read when I take a break. I've seen prices like that for some of the books I'm interested in, others are hundreds.

SW

Reply to
Sunworshipper

SW:

For pictures of the weapons, it would not be a choice. For understanding of the very Japanese reasons the society decided to remove these weapons from war play and the resolution of personal conflicts, it is a rewarding and clear bit of analysis.

How effective the Japanese were in destroying guns at the time is reflected in the prices rare surviving examples command.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Reply to
Edward Hennessey

Yeah, I'll probably get it for a bit of difference, but seems like every thing I read is connected to the point of down right strange. I was back tracking looking for symbolism that connected dots in my memory and just happen to be Japanese and not guns at all. But it all started with meteorites and metalworking and that Wootz steel pattern. And now its religion and myth and extraterrestrial objects.

SW

Reply to
Sunworshipper

SW:

Well, you have gonged the chimes of strange coincidences again. When I first heard the word, we both Anglicized Widmanstatten to something more intelligible; after all our brains our short on umlats, even colons gone belly up like over the second a in that word are iffy. After all, the Odessas I have are nickel-iron and that's creeping up on steel in my shop.

Joseph Campbell is nifty on myth. There are others. Max Weber, James and Durkheim--along with Tawney if you want some capitalism in the sauce--are all very good on looking at the structure of religions. Like you said, there are a lot of books worth knowing. But if you ever find a meteorite with definitive fossil evidence untainted inside, you can make yourself the center yourself of both topics and controversy.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Reply to
Edward Hennessey

Sadly, not available on my Kindle. I'm out of space physically. For something to come in, something has to go now.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Hayseuss Crisco! Doesn't it take about $5k worth of books to fill up one of those li'l puppies?