Cheapest Can Trimmer

Just now I wanted to shorten a soup can to make a ~1.2" tall 'drip cup'.

I rotated the open end of the can 90 and used a can opener to remove the top seam.

Successive passes shortened the can to the right height in about no time.

Filed the sharp edges and I have my part for No Money.

:)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

You don't eat tuna?

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Just now I wanted to shorten a soup can to make a ~1.2" tall 'drip cup'.

I rotated the open end of the can 90 and used a can opener to remove the top seam.

Successive passes shortened the can to the right height in about no time.

Filed the sharp edges and I have my part for No Money.

:)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

*Too much* tuna, if there is such a thing. :)

I wanted a can ~ 2.6" diameter. I'm already using 'tuna' and 'water chestnut' cans for other stuff but, at ~3.3" dia. they were too big for this particular application.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

I just use a kitchen shears and am done in one pass. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I just whack it in half with my katana in mid air. I'm done in a tenth the time you are. ;-)

-- Make the best use of what is in your power, and take the rest as it happens. -- Epictetus

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Slicing cans of whipped cream in midair might make an interesting video. Perhaps 'Funny or Die' could interest Jessica Biel, Emily Browning or Summer Glau to lend a fierce expression and stunt training.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

And lend absolutely babelicious facets to the show. (I just saved "Sucker Punch" to my Netflix list.)

-- Make the best use of what is in your power, and take the rest as it happens. -- Epictetus

Reply to
Larry Jaques

They would have to be covered head to toe (black leather?) to protect against the sharp edges of a cut can.

If they could afford her this is an absolutely ferocious warrior woman:

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

OK now what you should do is to rig a fixture so you can put a nice double rolled edge on the top of the can. As an alternative to that plan you could make an edge band and with the help of some of the electrical wizards around here find some military surplus capacitors and rig a spot welding attachment to your arc welder so you can affix the edge band to the top of the can.

It's the RCM way...

Roger Shoaf

Reply to
RS at work

Works for me.

Yum!

-- Make the best use of what is in your power, and take the rest as it happens. -- Epictetus

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I love that John Belushi Samurai Deli chef skit where he tossed a tomato in the air and sliced it with a Samurai sword.

His look was priceless, not a "Wow, I hit it" look, but a "What? Were you thinking I was going to miss it?" look. With a little "Holy shit, I hit it" mixed in.

It musta been sharp because the tomato dropped straight down, not thrown towards the audience.

If that was live, he nailed it.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?

Steve B

Buying a TIG welder and a ring roller to do the same thing would not be within the RCM zeitgeist? :)

That is what a friend did.

That's right it was a *friend* that did it. :)

I ended up trimming two cans the same way and inverting one. I shrunk the OD of the top can and snapped them together using the corrugations to make the axial alignment.

It worked a treat!

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

It is definitely plausible - compare tossing a baseball in the air, and whacking it with the bat. :-)

But once I saw a comic talk about swordsmen proving how sharp their swords are by chopping a carrot in half - he said, "Sharp?" and whacked the mic stand with the carrot and sure enough, it broke in half. ;-)

But you still have to hit the thing. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

You think you are *good* huh?

"But look the fly still is buzzing around the room!"

"Yes, but he can no longer *reproduce*"

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

I call *Cleanup Volunteer!*

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

That was a great skit. I'm sure, knowing what we do about Belushi, that it was both live and real. He was one real wild and crazy guy, wasn't he?

-- Make the best use of what is in your power, and take the rest as it happens. -- Epictetus

Reply to
Larry Jaques

"Yes he can. I merely circumcised him."

-- Make the best use of what is in your power, and take the rest as it happens. -- Epictetus

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I'd give any one of those gals a tongue lashing they'd never forget. Perhaps it's a bonus that I like whipped cream, too.

-- Make the best use of what is in your power, and take the rest as it happens. -- Epictetus

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I call rights to the lollipop molds.

Reply to