dremel vs padlock

I had a padlock on my logsplitter for which I lost the key. When the bolt cutters failed, I turned to my cordless dremel with the disposable cutting wheel. About sixty seconds was all it took! Very impressive, and scary; a thief could have had my logsplitter armed only with a cordless dremel tool! Dan

Reply to
dancutter

Anything that can be made:

Can be unmade

Can be made again

I think the consensus is that padlocks keep honest people honest.

Regards,

Robin

Reply to
Robin S.

Locks are to keep the honest people honest. It takes quite a bit more to protect something from the dishonest people...

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Leaving _anything_ behind a locked door is just a slightly stronger method than affixing a post-it note that says "To whom it may concern..."

For _real_ security you have to slow them down long enough to get caught at what they're doing, which means you not only need locks, you need someone patrolling to catch them faster.

Thank goodness there are so many honest folk out there!

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Yup, and a little metallurgy teaches you that bolt cutters work fine on case hardened hasps IF the hasps are red hot ..

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

And if the padlock shackle is hardened, the chain or lock hasp that it passes through is probably not. Also the chain/hasp is probably smaller guage. Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

I haven't looked at locks the same way ever since I took the welding class last year, and they let us use a plasma cutter.

Granted not as simple or concealable as a dremel tool, but if you need to undo a lot of security in a hurry, the plasma cutter seems to be the apex.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

Is that a plasma cutter in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

99% of locks out there can be opened with a hardened steel punch and a hammer. Hit it hard and fast and the latch will break. Heck the ubiquitous Master combination lock will open if you hit it hard with a dead blow hammer down on the top of the dial.
Reply to
Steve W.

Reply to
Don Bruder

Yes, I was rather impressed when I saw them use a little Miller Spectrum (forget the model) plasma cutter with the built in compressor in the X files movie. Fairly realistic too, while it won't cut all the way through the door in one shot it's certainly capable of cutting the sheet metal on a basic steel interior door.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

Tom and Mike were hiking through the forest when they came across a bear. Tom turned around and took off running. Mike shouted after him " you can't outrun a bear ". Tom shouted back " I don't have to, I just have to out run you."

Locks protect against dishonest people in the same way. You just have to make it harder to steal your stuff than to steal your neighbors stuff.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

The thin "sanding disks" cut faster than the thicker "cutting disks": they're a LOT thinner.

The "catch" is that you have to keep the cut straight...

Reply to
RAM³

Reply to
JR North

Heh. Dan there is a real-life version of that story. An ant biologist named Howard Topoff was hiking with his friend, Carol Simon. They did indeed encounter a bear. Howard turned to Carol and said, "stand very, very still, and he won't bother you."

She did so for a moment, then turned to see Howard hightailing it down the path. Nonplussed, she followed at high speed. The conversation that ensued is best left to the imagination. Suffice it to say they are still married and live near where the ursine encounter happened about

40 years ago.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

Yea - the 120V type - so you just plug it in the local outlet sitting next to the door.

I am so surprised to find outdoor wall plugs next to the front and back doors on some houses. Just for electric drills, saws and now plasma torches...

I suppose I could line the area near the door of a steel building with thin layers of Magnesium - and then try to explain that to the insurance man...

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH & Endowment Member NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member

jim rozen wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Or, like in my case, simply leave the doors unlocked. That'll stump them.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

Well I assume he told her he ran to get the bears attention.

Wes S

Reply to
clutch

Good one Jim -

But the door will get busted down or jam twisted... Dumb robbers...

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH & Endowment Member NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member

jim rozen wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

I've found that a sharp downward blow to a Master lock's body will usually open it, and doesn't even damage the lock, so it can be re-locked with no sign of it having been opened.

mp Mike Patterson Please remove the spamtrap to email me. "I always wanted to be somebody...I should have been more specific..." - Lily Tomlin

Reply to
Mike Patterson