Abus padlock

I am currently repinning my Abus padlocks. I have done the 83/45 locks without any problems but I cannot remove the core from the 80/45 lock because of a plate that covers the screw. Could someone please tell me how to move the plate back so I can remove the core and repin it. Thanks for your assistance.

Reply to
John Richardson

nice2cu

John,

I just looked through my Accredited Catalog and didn't see an 80/45. Granted, that's not a full line catalog. Which one is the 80/45? Is it possible that it's not rekeyable?

Reply to
Bob DeWeese, CML

The problem here is your initial selection of this Abus padlock. The Almont is a much better choice IMHO.

And before I hear the whining about how hard it is to key up an Almont, or you have a whole box of failed attempts at rekeying them I would only suggest using the correct tools and following the instructions. Once you learn how, these locks are fast and reliable.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Roger,

Can any of the Almont padlocks be retrofited with a standard KIK cylinder, like the lori 1539 style or a schlage 6-pin? The only padlock I can find to retro-fit with these kinds of cylinders is the American 3600/3700.

Bob

Reply to
Bob B.

I like the American, ordered it FOR that reason..for one customer.. That way they could save the lock, and change the cylinder out by itself quickly if the need arose..

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

The only shortcoming is their refusal to use a corrosion resistant screw to hold in the cylinder. I buy stainless screws from home depot to replace these. I contacted American, and they won't even answer me back. A completely corrosion resistant lock with a 4 cent rusty screw!

Bob

Reply to
Bob B.

No retrofit, but it is available in several popular keyways.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Reply to
humatrope

OK, found out how to do it:

To remove the cylinder:

  1. open the padlock
  2. look into the padlock where the shackle came out
  3. push the retainer pin in and then pull or tap the cylinder out of the padlock body

The shackle will release when the cylinder is removed.

"It's easy when you know how..."

Reply to
humatrope