Abus 83/45 Padlock

I needed to know if anyone has used a Schlage SC4 key w/ an Abus 83/45. I can only find the Abus 83/45 with a 5 pin Schlage C. I have used SC4 keys on SC1 keyways before only utilizing the first five pins of the key. The tip of the key usually sticks out of the back without a problem and can operate the cylinder. Since its a padlock though, I am wondering if there won't be enough clearance for the excess key to poke out the back. I would also just assume use a 6 pin Schlage C padlock if anyone knows where I can pick them up. The brand of the padlock doesn't really matter. I am just needing to encorporate some padlocks into an existing MK system. Thanks for any input.

Reply to
Erik

I've got some 83/45KNK. I'm thinking a C-series KNK would fit.Would use the shorter tailpiece.Also Master makes some brass ones that used E-series-(SC9), should be no prob finding C.

Someone might post the numbers for master here, or I can look it up. Hope this helps.

goma.

Reply to
goma865

does not AMerican make a changeable cylinder and you supply whatever you need key wise? I dimly remember getting one for a customer once in a C key way --Shiva--

Reply to
me

Master: Weather Tough-

6621 2-1/8" body 1-1/8" shackle 6627 2-5/8" body 1-3/8" shackle High Security-(Shrouded Shackle) 6721 2-1/8" body 3/4" shackle 6727 2-5/8" body 3/4" shackle Solid Steel- 7042 1-3/4" body 1-3/16" shackle 7047 1-3/4" body 1-3/16" shackle 7052 2" body 1-1/2 shackle

6621,6627,7042,7052-Also have XL shackle option. You would want cylinder D04

Don't have the American book right here.

goma.

Reply to
goma865

I would use the Almont.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Roger, Who carries them?

goma.

Reply to
goma865

I am with Rodger on this one... Almont rekeyable , available at any wholesaler. Be advised: they are a little tricky to rekey .... you WILL need the tool kit .. might be best to just see your local locksmith if you only need one.

Reply to
Keyman55

Since you are looking for an EASY solution to incorporate into the existing system, I'd go with the Abus, Master or Kryptonite (Schlage).

All of these have hardened shackles, and the Master Pro Series has a nice plastic sheath that protects against weather for outside use.

The Almont is "neat", but requires a special kit to load and retain the drivers, and you have to order hardened shackles separately.

With the others, you can simply remove the cores with a screwdriver and load em up as normal.

Reply to
Bogus

American solid brass "Multi-Cylinder Padlock"

AM-A3600 AM-A3601 AM-A3602

These are all 1-1/2 inch body. The A3601 and A3602 have longer shackles.

Reply to
goma865

The only time you need to order seperate shackles is if you want a long shackle. The one in the bos should be hardened already.

I agree that if you attempt to re-key an Almont without the proper tool you are in for some real fun. I have done it, it is possable, but it is no fun whatsoever. If you are going to be Masterkeying a bunch of these, I think Kedex makes a nice follower to dump the master pins.

And therein lies the fundamental problem with the Abus. It is attempting to be this ruff and tumble solid brass lock and it has too many parts and pieces. The cylinder retention is lousy and if something comes loose while banging around on that factory gate, you get out the bolt cutters and put on a new one.

The Almont however has few parts and pieces, there is nothing to get loose and will probably outlive the purchaser.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Master also makes a solid brass for door hardware cylinders. 6842 (1

3/4") and 6852 (2") are the model numbers. BBE.

goma865 wrote:

Reply to
Billy B. Edwards Jr.