Rekeying Padlock

Hello Folks,

Just a quick question:

Can all key padlocks be repinned? Or do I have to buy the lock that explicitly claims that it can be rekeyed?

How would I go about rekeying a padlock??

Thanks, Aaron

Reply to
Aaron P. Fagan

no

Or do I have to buy the lock that

yes,

spend LOTSA $$$ pinning kits are not cheap

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

More inserted.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Let me just say,

Im do have experience doing locksmithing. I am a professional Escapologist and own Escapology1.com

The reason I asked this question is that I would like to remove the pins from a padlock so it can be openned by any flat object.

I tried rekeying a large American lock (cant remember exact model #) a few months ago, got t he cylinde rout just fine and everything. But, t he pins shot up throught the shaft rendering the entire thing useless. Im not 100% sure what EXACTLY happened, but it was something along those lines.

Needless to say, I dont want to invest another $20 to have the same thing happen again.

Thanks, Aaron

Reply to
Aaron P. Fagan

ok, you got an american.. IF you can stand having a BLANK KEY (no cuts) required.. then take to a locksmith, and have him pin it to a 0 cut key. ANY cut key inserted will NOT turn it, but an uncut will.

OR.. you need ALL the pins and springs out, then ANYTHING that will turn the plug- screwdriver, pocket knife, severe jiggling, will open it.. the former suggestion is far more secure IF you want any safety than the latter.

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

More inserted.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

But of course any savvy audience member who tests it will discover that weakness and you'll look like a rank amateur.

There's a reason that serious padlocks sold to professional magicians are a bit more expensive; they incorporate mechanisms to try to prevent the gag from being so trivially exposed.

Reply to
Joe Kesselman (address as shown

Charles Courtney noted in his book 'Unlocking Adventure' that Houdini's assistants would bring in padlocks for 'rekeying'. He would swap the audience member's submitted padlock for one of the rekeyed ring-in's. Charles riveted up a padlock so it could not be opened, saw Houdini 'open' it and it was returned with rivet still in place.

Reply to
Peter

houdini was a master lock picker.

Reply to
Key

If so why did his possessions apparently include a bit key with a second bit instead of the bow. The first bit was to unlock a cell door and the second the door at the end of the passage (he would have read or impressioned the relevant keys when he met staff prior to his escape).

Reply to
Peter

I've heard that... and he also had some accomplices. Including his wife.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

still, houdini was a master lock picker. his exact use of the knowledge, may always be a mystery.

Reply to
Key

"Stormin Mormon" <cayoung61-#spamblock*-@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:hqOLd.18608$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.nyroc.rr.com...

he was also called the "handcuff king"

Key

Assistants, please.

Remember: Magicians are explicitly in the business of illusion, and that includes escape artists. Obviously he needed to have the skills to achieve what he did -- but it's well document that he was also skilled at the art of misdirection -- making the difficult seem impossible, and making the impossible simple.

There's a lot of careful engineering in his major illusions -- which is one reason that some folks hurt themselves trying to reproduce 'em, even though they knew the trick.

Reply to
Joe Kesselman (address as shown

Keep an eye out for pinning kits on E-bay. I've seen the kit for master locks go for under $15.

Several padlocks have their own techniques. You'd do best (as an amature) to look for instructions online or from the manufacturer. Some books have basic instuctions. Check out the library for back issues of National Locksmith or Locksmith Ledger.

Daniel

Reply to
dbs__usenet