Vane keys?

Has anyone here had a chance to play with the so-called "vane" key locks (especially padlocks) coming out of China?

To my untutored eye they're sort of a knock off cross between an Abloy and an unwarded Abus: large rectangular keyway; keys are rectangular and reversible with angled bittings; the one I have (a WUZI BH-551) feels like it has eight disc tumblers; its key has four bittings of two different heights with two grounds between them like so:

More details: no springs. The key turns 180 degrees and the lock drops open. The key cannot be removed from the open position: you need the key to close the lock. When a partially inserted key is turned it can only move 90 to

100 degrees or so.

Is this a new mousetrap? I haven't been able to find anything remotely like it on the web... is it any good? The same basic design seems to be manufactured by many different Chinese companies in a variety of form-factors.

outer

Reply to
Richard Outerbridge