Re: Making a key for Master #3 padlock?

Look down the open end of the hole that the shackle locks into and see if
you see a screw head (or look on the bottom and if you see ONE round button
sticking out, then the core can come out), if so, undo that and the bottom
plate comes off, and the cylinder will fall out in your hand. Then either
take that to a locksmith and have them make a key, take the whole lock with
you and have a key made, or buy a new cylinder from Master or a locksmith.
P.S. that does appear to be a valid code # for a M1 master key blank.
Steve
What's involved in making a key for one of these padlocks? Something I can do
> myself? (I've picked a few locks around the house when keys have been > misplaced...)
>
> Can the cylinder ("plug"?) be removed?
>
> It has "0370" on the bottom.
>
> Thanks,
> --
> Dave C.
> snipped-for-privacy@mailblocks.com

Reply to
Steve
if you know that is not a valid M-1 code... then you should also know that MASTER does not make a # 3 with a removeable cylinder.
Reply to
JOCK tec
You are probably right, I do mostly residential and automotive locks/keys. Not being sure, I simply gave them what to look for to see I F it was removable trying to be helpful.
Steve
Reply to
Steve
i wouldn't worry about it if i was u... that's the quickest way to get a response around here! answer something wrong..lol go ahead try it..lmao rc.. btw the #21 is the rekeyable version of the #3 and 27 is the 5.. haven't had to mess with them in a while since the pro-series came out.
Reply to
"RC" da "PCDJ
If there's a code number on it, it must be an old lock. AFAIK, Master stopped putting the codes on them several years ago. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong)
If the code's good, have one made by code. Otherwise, (unless you've got a bunch of them K/A), toss it and buy a new on. It ain't worth the time to make a key to it unless you're just doing it for the heck of it.
I'd charge $25 to make a key for it. A new one costs about five bucks at Home Depot.
Bobby
Reply to
Bob DeWeese, CML
Oh, they usually impression real easy. Not worth the time when you get another lock at the wholesale hosue for a couple bucks. I impression them to fight boredom sometimes.
To remove the cylinder, just lay it on something very strong, and take the bottom lamination off with a hammer and a cold chisel. Cyl comes right out.
Reply to
Stormin Mormon
I think he was saying that they weren't *meant* to be removed. Thechnically, you can "remove" the cylinder from _anything_, (with a big enough hammer). :)
Reply to
Bob DeWeese, CML
This group has failed me!
I was trolling to see if anyone wrote "yeah, but you can't put it back" or some such zippy reply. Must be too early in the morning?
Reply to
Stormin Mormon
It's pretty obvious to everyone here that you can forcefully dissasemble the lock and remove the cylinder. The only possible reason I can think of to do this however is if you have a bunch of locks keyed alike and want a quicker way to get the biting than impressioning one of them.
Reply to
Putyourspamhere

Site Timeline