Is a combination padlock safe?

I have an abus 165/30 combination padlock that I use for luggage locker when I travel, and I wonder how easy it is to open as a "party trick". In other words can a "normal" person open them without problem, and is it better to use a padlock with a key.

Reply to
sverker12

Most combo padlocks are less secure than equivalently-priced keyed padlocks. But obviously they have convenience advantages. To get better security from either, you can buy a better model...

Depending on what kind of "luggage locker" you're talking about and how you're travelling, this may be a difference that makes no practical difference.

Reply to
Joe Kesselman (address as shown

I've heard, and it squares with my experience, that resettable wheel padlocks (the ones commonly used on briefcases) are easier to guess the combo than dial locks. Even the 4 wheel ones from Master, Abus, etc. seem easier. Anyone have on opinion?

"Joe Kesselman (address as shown)" snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote >> In other words can a "normal" person open them without problem, and is

Reply to
Scott Berg

  1. how much time do I have to open, with NOBODY AROUND?
2 if I do open it-is it still usable, meaning shows no damage?
  1. OR, do I need in, and do NOT care about leaving a damage trail?

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

Time to entry - about 10 minutes, tops - but you can come back regularly and pick up where you left off.

Require no visible sign of entry desired, so no boltcutters. I've never seen a hockeypuck or shrouuded shackle with wheels.

If us>

Reply to
Scott Berg