Obscure Electrical Question for a Drill

I've got a customer in Saudi Arabia (yes, Dept. of Commerce cleared). They are telling me their power requirements are 38V, 60hz... Everyone I've
spoken to says it isn't so, but this guy swears up and down it is.
Has anyone ever done work over there and can confirm such a thing? Google had some info, but conflicting...
To keep this on topic, the guy is buying a drill capable of 1200 lbs. of thrust at 3 HP for a pretty hairy drilling job... That is if I can figure out the daggone motor for him!
Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022 01.908.542.0244 Automatic / Pneumatic Drills: http://www.AutoDrill.com Multiple Spindle Drills: http://www.Multi-Drill.com Production Tapping: http://Production-Tapping-Equipment.com / Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-N-Tap.com VIDEOS:
http://www.youtube.com/user/AutoDrill
TWITTER: http://twitter.com/AutoDrill FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/AutoDrill
V8013-R
Joe AutoDrill wrote:

Ahhh... No doubt he is using the metric system to measure his voltage!
On Fri, 25 Mar 2011 08:01:09 -0400, "Joe AutoDrill"

Google saudi arabia electrical travel
http://users.telenet.be/worldstandards/electricity.htm
Figured, these people are followers, show them how to drill that crap out and they charge ya 4 dollars a gallon !
SW

It figures: 50Hz is yet another freakin' German engineering marvel.
-- Make up your mind to act decidedly and take the consequences. No good is ever done in this world by hesitation. -- Thomas H. Huxley
On Fri, 25 Mar 2011 06:30:50 -0700, Larry Jaques

Leave us not go back to 25Hz like we had in Toronto and area for so many blinking years! Gerry :-)} London, Canada

This gives SA as 127V or 220V 60Hz, so ask him to plug in a 127V light bulb. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mains_power_systems
--
I just tried; at ~40VAC the bulb glows a dim orange, less bright than
a candle. That should rule out an incorrect voltmeter reading.

Hmm.. is this for use on a construction site? IIRC, the Brits use a center-tapped 120V (CT grounded) for such purposes. Throw a sqrt(3) in there and you're close.
Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

I see siemens contactors (praise the google) with a control voltage of 38V 60HZ, maybe he needs to use an existing industrial control system as power... or maybe he's reading an x10 scale and he really means 380V.
Dave
On Fri, 25 Mar 2011 06:07:39 -0700 (PDT), Dave__67

Well, just a sanity check. He says 3 HP. That's a minimum of 2.5 Kw, at 38 volts, that is 58 amps. Real world efficiency factored in,more like 75 amps.
Somehow I'm just a wee bit sceptical.
On Fri, 25 Mar 2011 17:25:44 -0400, the renowned snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

You could ask him to put his hands across the supply-- if he doesn't get back to you, it was probably 380VAC.
Best regards, Spehro Pefhany
On 3/25/2011 2:25 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

all the power I've seen in Saudi Arabia is european standard 220V 60 Hz, The 38V is not right unless he has his own motor/generator for it - that certainly is not wall power there.
There is lots of info on the kingdom on the web, including standard power and outlets - ask him for a photo of the outlet he will plug it in to
--
www.wbnoble.com

Further reason for skepticism is provided by a corrected calculation: 2.5KW / 38V = 66A, not 58.

On Fri, 25 Mar 2011 20:52:33 -0700, the renowned Bill Noble

60Hz is not standard anywhere in Europe, so kind of a hybrid.

No, but 380VAC IS probably standard industrial there. Euro standard 3-phase industrial is 380VAC, with (1/sqrt(3)) * 380VAC ~= 220V Wye (phase to neutral).

Or a clear photo of the nameplate on a piece of stuff wot's wired into the supply.
Best regards, Spehro Pefhany
Joe AutoDrill wrote:

It would appear that your customer is missing a zero, the references indicate 380V 3ph 60Hz power is common.
It's not my customer missing a zero, it's me. 38V, 60 hz.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
Joe AutoDrill wrote:

From one of the references:
"In most parts of Saudi Arabia - such as the Dammam and al-Khobar area - 220 V three-phase electricity is used (127 V single-phase). 220 V (single-phase) and 380 V (three-phase) can be found as well."
I can't imagine why they would have 38V, 60Hz, such a low voltage would tend to point to a DC source like a 36V forklift battery.
"Pete C." wrote:

Another reference indicates that the 220V 3ph is 60Hz and the 380V 3ph is 50Hz.

Three HP at 38 volts is a lot of current. No way can this be correct. Not even Edison would go that low in voltage. As others have said, 380 volts three phase seems more likely.
Are you talking to the engineer, or to a purchasing agent?
Joe Gwinn
Joseph Gwinn wrote:

3HP at 38V is a lot of current, but not uncommon. 12V winches are often 4HP+ and draw several hundred amps. If this was a DC app powered from a 36V forklift battery it would be under 100A and not out of the realm of possibility.
Given that this is specified as 38V 60Hz and 380V 3ph 50Hz is common in the region I'm pretty sure the spec was mangled in translation.

That sounds really strange.
Are they using soviet railway or mining equipment?