Gun record retention?

I understand that form 4473 is required to be kept for 10 years, but what happens afterwards? Are they usually destroyed or retained?

Ignoramus22711

Gerry

I mean, just what will happen in a typical gun store right now, I bought a certain gun 10 years ago and that's why I am interested.

Ignoramus22711

Ten more years to go.

Dan

Reply to
Dan

Just what do you have in mind? Anything to do with election day?

Reply to
Tom Gardner

They remain in the gunstores files, pretty much in perpetuity, or until the store closes. At which point the ATF collects them, and "stores them"...which means that they have been caught entering them into the Data Base Which Does Not Exist

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3

Reply to
Gunner

Too bad, and also seems like I was wrong on the 10 years number...

Ignoramus22711

If the dealer goes out of business, all the 4473 are supposed to be forwarded to the ATF that will happily add them to their illegal databases.

Wes S NRA Life

Reply to
clutch

In the 1980s electric utilities were required to file this giant report every two years on how electricity was used by classes of their customers. Our report was about six inches thick. About six months after we filed the report we found a noticeable error. Recognizing that we didn't want to get a nasty gram from the feds I sent in a letter saying we found an error and would be sending in the correct information after we processed it. They sent us a letter saying they got our letter. One thing led to another and about six months went by. We figured if the feds didn't ask for the corrected data why go to the trouble of getting the data together. Never heard from them again.

About two years later I'm speaking with an attorney that practiced at that agency and mentioned our report. He said he saw where they were filed, large room with file cabinets. No one was assigned to review them in any way! They just checked off that they were filed and were available to be looked at by our customers. Every time I went on the witness stand at a regulatory hearing I carried a copy of our oops letter in case someone found the error. No one ever did.

Reply to
Howard

The gun shop stores the records in their bound book, until they cease operations, then the records go to the BATF in West Virginia.

Reply to
Tony

For Gun Record Retention in California:

Matt Monaghan