Hairy Machines

All longhairs take note,hair and machines are a bad mix.

wws

Reply to
wws

Yeah, I heard of a woman working in a wire drawing plant (IIRC) and she stuck her head a little too deep into a machine... Fortunately surgeons were able to re-attach her scalp.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Williams

Scary stuff.

Their was a student at the local highschool which was working on a South Bend. 10" lathe. She bent over the machine to get a better look and her long hair got tangled. Scalped her. They were able to reattach her scalp though.

That was the last mach>All longhairs take note,hair and machines are a bad mix.

Reply to
alam

When I was tech services manager of an alarm company, I had a long haired installer get his hair wrapped around the long drill bit he was using to drill a hole in the ceiling of a church. While standing on the top of a 10' step ladder. He paniced and jumped.

He broke his leg and ripped a significant portion of his scalp off. When I got the call from the paster of the church, I drove down, cut the scalp loose from the wad of hair dangling from the ceiling, and drove to the hospital where they had taken him only minutes earlier. They managed to sew it back on sucessfully, but to this day, he has a wierd colored spot on his head, and the hair comes out 90' differently from the rest of his head. I think they may have rotated the scalp before sewing it on. Pretty neat nearly round patch about

6" in diameter. When I cut the scalp loose, I cut the hair pretty close and they may have not known which side went where..shrug.

Gunner

"What do you call someone in possesion of all the facts? Paranoid.-William Burroughs

Reply to
Gunner

Weren't thinking ahead were you :^).

john

Please note that my return address is wrong due to the amount of junk email I get. So please respond to this message through the newsgroup.

Reply to
John Flanagan

Yep, along with long sleeves and gloves. I have a no gloves, no rings, short sleeves only rule for all my power equipment. Don't have any long hairs around so haven't had the need to make up that rule yet. You hear that sunworshipper :^)???

John

Please note that my return address is wrong due to the amount of junk email I get. So please respond to this message through the newsgroup.

Reply to
John Flanagan

-- Visit my website:

foundry and general metal working and lots of related projects. Regards Roy aka Chipmaker // Foxeye Opinions are strictly those of my wife....I have had no input whatsoever. Remove capital A from chipmAkr for correct email address

Reply to
Roy

My hair reaches just past my shoulders - my main problem is it swinging in front of my eyes, I never get my head that close to anything dangerous as a matter of principle!

So I got some hair bands like my girlfriend has, for when I'm doing interesting things with metal.

She wants me to keep growing it, because she has this wierd "long haired blacksmith handling the work with ferocious strength and infinite gentleness" fantasy going on. Which is more of a safety issue - I tend to get unexpectedly grabbed in sensitive places when I'm really concentrating on things and don't notice her lurking. Still, she now knows not to do this when I've got anything in my hands!

ABS

Reply to
Alaric B Snell

Yeap, I'm well aware of the danger. I was boring on my 12X36 Atlas and hadn't noticed that the lead screw was turning slowly until the oil helped wrap my hair around it. Good thing that its a small lathe , even then the switch over the head stock was just at the end of my reach. I took awhile just to get my hair off of it , all alone as usual.

I often get a couple hairs ripped out from the drill motor commutator. The most common thing is leaning over a stopped machine and getting half a head full of oily swarf , which is lots of fun to get out.

I just wish people would stop using that grovey word around me. I'm not that old , but I do remember the flower covered people and their VW buses , dig it.

Never did like jewelry , no watches, ear rings, necklaces, or rings , and especially the head stuffed in a tackle box thing. I've tried watches , they have a life expectancy of about 4 to 7 days.

Oh , I don't plan on being in Va. ? Now that you've got another snipper I guess I should stop slamming ice on the wheel well of my PU at gas stations again.

Reply to
Sunworshiper

I post every time this comes up: I have hair down below my ass (not ass hair, but my head hair). Anyway when working in the shop you need to put your hair in a ponytail, then stuff the pony tail down the back of your shirt. That is the only way you can ensure that the hair won't whip around and somehow get caught. It's easier if you hair is long enough to fully constrain this way, so either cut it short or grow it as long as you can.

Reply to
Nicholas Carter

I was looking for the "this side up" arrow..but it was a bit bloody and icky...

Gunner Have you noticed how these enviros have become alarmed by the proliferation of large carnivores in the boonies? I saw one remark to the effect that bears, for example, do not seem to know their place on the "food chain." Why should they? Only man comes up with ideas like a food chain, and with man the idea only makes sense because man is armed. Without his weapons, man is by no means at the top of any food chain. On the contrary, he is down in fourth or fifth spot, depending upon the environment in which he lives. Primitive man was under no illusions about this, nor are the backwoods folk in India today. To a tiger, man is a morsel, as these unarmed joggers seem to be to a cougar, upon occasion. Man is man because he is always armed. That is something they do not teach in kindergarten, nor for that matter in high school. A youth becomes a man when he is first presented with his own personal weapon. That is his right of passage, and those who do not understand that are questionable members of a free society. - Jeff Cooper's Commentaries, Vol. 9, No. 7, July, 2001

Reply to
Gunner

my hairline is a few inches above my asshole so i dont have to worry about it anymore

Reply to
Wwj2110

Which, your hair or your asshole? :^)

Tim

-- In the immortal words of Ned Flanders: "No foot longs!" Website @

Tim Williams

I divorced her a long time ago

Reply to
Wwj2110

That could be a problem at certain times, that and long tailed shirts IYKWIM :^).

John

Please note that my return address is wrong due to the amount of junk email I get. So please respond to this message through the newsgroup.

Reply to
John Flanagan

You were saying you were thinking about making a rule about long hair in your shop. Your in Va. , right? If so, I don't plan to be in that area so there is no chance you will get to impose that rule on me.

Or about making loud banging sounds at the gas pumps?

Reply to
Sunworshiper

That's why you use a splash guard on the lathe and mill?

But really.. who doesn't enjoy the smell of kerosene and bacon fat ground into the very fiber of their being... ;^)

Tim

-- In the immortal words of Ned Flanders: "No foot longs!" Website @

Tim Williams

Ah quit whining. At least he wasn't like that hiker in England!!

Now *that* would make a scene in the store.

Jim

jim rozen

Your mouth started to water? Oh,queasy.Stopped me there for a second.

wws

Reply to
machomachiner

Ok, what hiker.....?