Hanging parts jars

--I've reached the point where nuts, bolts, etc are so numerous that they no longer fit in those little plastic parts jars, the ones that thread into those red plastic caps that attach to pegboard. Nowadays I'm using plastic quart-size jars and as the number is mounting the workbench is shrinking! --What I'd like to do is hang 'em beneath an existing shelf in some way that doesn't include nailing the lid to it. Ideally I'd like to find some extruded aluminum with a "top-hat" cross section. This way the extrusions could be cut to length, drilled thru the middle and attached to a shelf, spaced apart so that jar lids would slide between the horizontal bits. So far I haven't spotted anything like this and I've been making my own pseudo-extrusions. First time I did this by fastening strips of 1/8" x

1" aluminum to 1/2" square sections, then bolting these to the bottom of a shelf. Now, second time around, I'm welding strips of .09" steel to 1/2" square tube, then drilling large hole thru the sandwich and smaller hole thru the topside so I can fasten the things to the shelf with hex head sheetmetal screws. --Anyway, long story short: this would be a *lot* easier with a single extrusion that only needed to be cut to length and drilled a couple of times. Has anyone seen anything like this? Links appreciated!
Reply to
steamer

How about just putting a small eyebolt thru the lid and hamging it on an appropriate rod?

Reply to
Nick Hull

--Plastic lids. I'm a little concerned with the material giving way over time. Plus the current plan is to have 'em hanging from a roof truss, i.e. I'll be walking beneath them from time to time; I'd hate to have one fall on my head or worse, on someone visiting the shop...

Reply to
steamer

These folks may have something.

Shawn

Reply to
Shawn

Hook... eyebolt, you'd have to slide 'em off and you couldn't support the rod on both ends...

:- )

_-_-bear

Reply to
BEAR

A typical small eyebolt transmutes into a hook if you put enough force on it.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Take a look at

search for "hat section"

Henry Bibb

Reply to
Henry Q. Bibb

--Hmmm, very neat! Yeah, I was thinking all right angles, but I think this might do the trick. Thanks!

Reply to
steamer

As long as you don't use glass canning jars, with the lids nailed to the wood.

My dad always thought that was the ne plus ultra of fastener storage, so he kept (keeps) his random assortment of nuts-n-bolts in glass jars that way.

There's nothing quite like a quart jar of screws dropping off the lid and exploding on the concrete floor below.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

I run 1x2" strapping horizontally on the open side of a stud wall such that tobacco tins ( I used to smoke a pipe, and our secretary rolled cigarettes for herself and spouse) rest on the strapping and tilt back against the chipboard on the other side of the wall, three cans per stud space. An alternate container currently available is the fibre sided can with snap on plastic lid, from salted nuts. I my previous shop with concrete block walls, I anchored 1x3" vertically, edge on to the walls and ran my 1x2's across them. My boys are negotiating as to inheritance rights on Dad's tobacco tins. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

Hah! - this assumes you are ORGANISED enough to have SOME sort of a system. I have given up. Just installed my new 9 by 10 lathe, (havent even THOUGHT about where the mill is going...) I am left with piles of radio stuff/manuals/interesting "junque" all over the floor. (but I did find my lost 5mm allen key, and some parts I bought YEARS ago....) OK, now is the time to clean up - but if I put things in the filing cabinet, thats no good - it depends on the day what category they fit into, so its better to have books/manuals in piles on the floor - easier to sort. Patch cables - tried doing them in categories from wall hooks, but they well, sort of want to...get up to strange nocturnal activities...always wind up mixed, or hiding under the bench.

And lathe stuff is so bloody BIG and HEAVY -the 4 jaw chuck is sititng in a corner, glaring at me, along with the faceplate and the steadies. They need to be stored carefully to prevent damage or rust, on a level I can get to them. Plus all the hand tools I am starting to accumulate......

And NOW, and NOW folks, I am starting to get into this metalworking stuff - its gunna get totally out of control- its taken on a life of its own...I am just a spectator...the seductive murmer of new tools must be similar to heroin addiction.... just one more, you really NEED this one....have to move, start all over again.....take to the drink,.......see the doc, get some organising pills....AAAARRRGGGHHHHH!!!!!!

believe it or not, this all started as as a simple desire to machine some adaptors for my WW2 radio gear tuning mechanisms.... its OUT OF CONTROL!!!!!!!

Andrew VK3BFA.

Still having a good time, despite my age. (label on a tshirt the kids gave me, shortly before I dis-inherited them)

Reply to
Andrew VK3BFA

The threads are pretty strong, use a fender washer or bigger on the inside. If in doubt, fill the jar with lead and test.

Reply to
Nick Hull

--Oops, took another look at it and the thickness is only .020" which is pretty wimpy. I think, in the interest of safety, I'd want an aluminum holder to have a thickness of maybe .125". I've googled quite a bit but there's still nothing to write home about, heh.

Reply to
steamer

DIN rail. Only 1mm steel (or aluminum), but it's pretty sturdy. Cheap and available blank or stamped for mounting screws. $40 for 20m of the tall profile.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

My present answer to small parts storage is the stackable plastic storage drawers and dedicate each drawer to whatever catagory ie nails, screws , threaded fastners ect.

Like these:

I use cuttoff plastic soda bottles and other plastic food containers for small quanities and bags/boxes for larger lots.

Not perfect but works good for me. Address labels keeps tabs on contents.

Most rest on the back of an assembly bench under the overhead storage shelves.

DE

Reply to
DE

My dad had one that was made to work with baby food jars. IIRC it was a hexagon about 12-16 inches wide supported on each end by its hanging bracket. Each facet of the hexagon had the jar lids firmly attached, about 4 or 5 lids per facet. I remember spinning that rig around looking for "little nuts" or whatever. I decided to make my own:

In this modern day and age, I don't think I would use glass jars anymore. I had one of my fellas bring in baby food jars. The lids don't screw on like the old ones, I found them totally inappropriate and all I can see is the potential for broken glass and tiny objects everywhere. There are quite a few foods that come in clear plastic jars now, getting a reasonable quantity becomes the issue. It would take a lot of peanut butter or small units of mayonnaise or some such to keep my assortment of miscellaneous. So I haven't ever finished the project - I had the wood work all done.

Google solves all, though this violates the theory of making and scrounging what is needed:

DanG

I've done various jars and bins, on shelves and hanging from overhead, and decided that I REALLY like the storage units with the clear plastic drawers. I can organize them so that all I have to do is read the label or tape a sample to the front and it is easy to find which one I need with the next larger or smaller right next to it. You can buy the units in different sizes depending on how much space is needed for that item.

Anyone want a box of RAGU and Skippy jars?

Steve.

Reply to
SteveF

LOL

My Dad did the same thing with baby food jars nailed in nice neat rows to boards attached to the bottom of the ceiling joists in the basement. Yep, some exciting childhood memories when I lost my grip trying to get one down.

Steve.

Reply to
SteveF

Those are nice size drawers & reasonable price. I would be reluctant to buy without putting my hands on it first. Some of those are really crap (thin, brittle plastic).

I, also, like drawers - I have a variety of forms & sizes. Drawers are by far the most efficient use of storage space (volume).

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

I put a shelf on the bottom of the exposed joist with a lip on the side to hold the bottles from falling off. It was easy to see what was in the bottles if they were full otherwise i would use magic marker on them This was otherwise wasted space other than the round stock that got stored up there too. This only works if you have an unfinished ceiling in the basement.

John

Reply to
John