Harbor Freight helmet stopped working

I have a Harbor Freight helmet and, it seems, it stopped working and stopped darkening when I strike the arc. This is a solar model. Is
there some easy for for them or not. Thanks.
βœ–
On 4/18/2010 8:39 PM, Ignoramus2187 wrote:

This one? http://www.harborfreight.com/manuals/46000-46999/46092.pdf
Manual says the lithium batteries should be good for 6 years. Also suggests that the cover plate might need replacement.
--Winston
Add pictures here
βœ–

Yep
I will see what I can do. The current was low (60 amps or so). That might explain it.
βœ–
I'd be very concerned, about a welding helmet that didn't protect ones vision. That could really mess up the rest of your life, if you go blind.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Add pictures here
βœ–
Not sure I want to trust my eye sight to a HF product. I don't have that much confidence.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Ain't it ridiculous? You can get a decent watch at a yard sale for a buck, and then, it's $5 to $8 for a battery.
It's as big a scam as printer ink. They should GIVE you printers for what you have to pay for a lifetime of ink for them.
Steve
Add pictures here
βœ–

Those button batteries must be a cash cow. I paid something like 3.99 for two SR44 batteries this winter for my 0-1 and 1-2 Mitutoyo digimic's. Didn't get 6 months before the B indicator is telling my batteries are almost dead.

Well if you look at the pricing on printers, they do almost give them to you. I'd rather pay for the printer and get the ink at a fair price. HP has gone as far as to chip the cartridges to make sure they die inside the profit projection. There is where a class action suit needs to happen. That lawnmower motor thing was small time by comparison.
Wes
Add pictures here
βœ–
wrote

I know. They were talking about $35 for the lawnmower thing. I'm thinking $3500 for the printer thing. Now that's one I'd send in the free postage reply card to.
Steve
Add pictures here
βœ–

For LR44s I get the magnet-bottomed flex-shafted LED flashlights.
Not only do these come with 3 batteries installed but also provide 3 spares - all for $2.99 at Wally World. <grin> That makes the batteries about 50 cents each...
Just be sure to get the ones hanging at the rear of the hook...and that the "test" lighting actually produces illumination.
Add pictures here
βœ–
I live in the SF Bay Area. There is a Sunday flea market at Laney College. There is a dealer who has all kinds of imported things [some junk] others acceptable. One thing he sells is cards of TEN button cells for $1.00 for each card. Have used them for years in all kinds of things. I have even made up 15volt batteries that an old Tripplet meter uses. Now you know how badly the local drug or variety are ripping us off. Check out your local FM.
Chuck P.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 20:59:53 -0700, the renowned Gunner Asch

Are they branded GP, Panasonic or something known? Or something like "Sunbeam"?

LR44/A76 are Alkaline cells. $5.54 for 10 at Digikey rated 150 mAh (to 0.9 volts) with a 7.5K load (Energizer brand) (at 1.2V terminal voltage you'll get only about 75% of that.
SR44/357 are Silver Oxide. $13.87 for 10 at Digikey. rated 195 mAh (to 1.2 volts) with a 6.5k load (Energizer brand)
If the electronics quits at 1.2V you'd expect around 57% of the life out of the Alkalines for 40% of the cost.
http://data.energizer.com/PDFs/A76.pdf http://data.energizer.com/PDFs/357-303H.pdf
But there are probably some pretty lousy generic cells out there where they cut corners on the energy content etc.
Best regards, Spehro Pefhany
βœ–
On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 01:56:52 +0000 (UTC), "RAM³"

Last LR44 batteries I bought were ten for a buck at Dollarama Gerry :-)} London, Canada
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 01:56:52 +0000 (UTC), the renowned "RAM³"

If you're ordering from Digikey anyway, they're about 50 cents each for 10 (Energizer brand) or less than half that from DXtreme (Gold Peak brand).
A customer I was doing some design work for in Hong Kong was astounded to find that it would cost end users more than he sold the whole product for to buy a set of replacement button cells at retail (they included a set with the product- actual cost less than a dime depending on the brand, more for Japanese brand less for Chinese brand, but all made in China).
Best regards, Spehro Pefhany
βœ–
On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 16:10:24 -0700, the infamous "Steve B"

I get 3-12 batteries from HongKong, including shipping, for a couple bucks. www.eBay.com is your friend.
--
A book burrows into your life in a very profound way
because the experience of reading is not passive.

Thank you, glad you brought that up. ;)
Add pictures here
βœ–

I always pick up four batteries when they are on sale. I would buy more, but I don't like them sitting around that long before use. Then I use a little digital meter to test the old one and the new one. And older weak one will still function down to a certain level, but I like to keep one in there that's "hot".
Steve
Visit my blog at www.cabgbypasssurgery.com
Add pictures here
βœ–

    Note that you can significantly extend the shelf life of a cell or battery by refrigerating it. You probably don't want to truly freeze it, as that could burst the cell, but put them in a ziploc baggie and keep them in the unfrozen food section of the 'fridge.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
βœ–
Better living through chemistry!!!
[ but I don't like them sitting around that long before use.

just a note: one place I've found very inexpensive (maybe $3 for a pack of 4 or 6) button cells of all sizes is at Princess Auto which I suppose is the Canadian equivalent to HF....certainly carries much of the same re-branded stuff, so you might look there if you are in need. FYI
cheers, -m in Ottawa
Add pictures here
βœ–

Damn annoying when the back up strobe on a fork lift mutes your helmet. It does provide an indication that the helmet is working though.
Wes
Add pictures here
βœ–