Harbor Freight helmet stopped working

I have a Harbor Freight helmet and, it seems, it stopped working and stopped darkening when I strike the arc. This is a solar model. Is there some easy for for them or not. Thanks.

Ignoramus2187

This one?

Manual says the lithium batteries should be good for 6 years. Also suggests that the cover plate might need replacement.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

I'd be very concerned, about a welding helmet that didn't protect ones vision. That could really mess up the rest of your life, if you go blind.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I've got one of Harbor Freight's helmets. I only weld periodically, so before using the helmet I let it charge in the sunlight for about 15 minutes as Gunner suggested. I then test it by looking at a bare lightbulb, or a strong sun reflection on a metal surface. Shade should dim... If it dims, you're good to go... Chet

Reply to
Chet

Realize that the auto dark lenses block IR and UV 100% of the time.

Reply to
Pete C.

Yes, it is 100% safe to weld with a non-darkening helmet, it is just inconvenient. Even when it does not darken, it blocks IR and UV, and actually provides some darkening as well. Dark or not, it provides about same level of protection.

Ignoramus9593

Yep

I will see what I can do. The current was low (60 amps or so). That might explain it.

Ignoramus9593

IIRC mine has removable batteries - AA or AAA rechargables Pop some new ones in it and see if it works.

Reply to
RBnDFW

Not sure I want to trust my eye sight to a HF product. I don't have that much confidence.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

"Bill McKee" wrote

. It also charges

Ain't it ridiculous? You can get a decent watch at a yard sale for a buck, and then, it's $5 to $8 for a battery.

It's as big a scam as printer ink. They should GIVE you printers for what you have to pay for a lifetime of ink for them.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Damn annoying when the back up strobe on a fork lift mutes your helmet. It does provide an indication that the helmet is working though.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Those button batteries must be a cash cow. I paid something like 3.99 for two SR44 batteries this winter for my 0-1 and 1-2 Mitutoyo digimic's. Didn't get 6 months before the B indicator is telling my batteries are almost dead.

Well if you look at the pricing on printers, they do almost give them to you. I'd rather pay for the printer and get the ink at a fair price. HP has gone as far as to chip the cartridges to make sure they die inside the profit projection. There is where a class action suit needs to happen. That lawnmower motor thing was small time by comparison.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

I know. They were talking about $35 for the lawnmower thing. I'm thinking $3500 for the printer thing. Now that's one I'd send in the free postage reply card to.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Wes wrote in news:%R5zn.62426$ snipped-for-privacy@en-nntp-14.dc.easynews.com:

For LR44s I get the magnet-bottomed flex-shafted LED flashlights.

Not only do these come with 3 batteries installed but also provide 3 spares

- all for $2.99 at Wally World. That makes the batteries about 50 cents each...

Just be sure to get the ones hanging at the rear of the hook...and that the "test" lighting actually produces illumination.

Reply to
RAM³

I live in the SF Bay Area. There is a Sunday flea market at Laney College. There is a dealer who has all kinds of imported things [some junk] others acceptable. One thing he sells is cards of TEN button cells for $1.00 for each card. Have used them for years in all kinds of things. I have even made up 15volt batteries that an old Tripplet meter uses. Now you know how badly the local drug or variety are ripping us off. Check out your local FM.

Chuck P.

Reply to
Pilgrim

Last LR44 batteries I bought were ten for a buck at Dollarama Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 08:18:45 -0500, the infamous "Pete C." scrawled the following:

Ask the plonkee why he doesn't just pray for shielding.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 08:50:11 -0500, the infamous Ignoramus9593 scrawled the following:

Cites, please?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 16:10:24 -0700, the infamous "Steve B" scrawled the following:

I get 3-12 batteries from HongKong, including shipping, for a couple bucks.

is your friend.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

If you're ordering from Digikey anyway, they're about 50 cents each for 10 (Energizer brand) or less than half that from DXtreme (Gold Peak brand).

A customer I was doing some design work for in Hong Kong was astounded to find that it would cost end users more than he sold the whole product for to buy a set of replacement button cells at retail (they included a set with the product- actual cost less than a dime depending on the brand, more for Japanese brand less for Chinese brand, but all made in China).

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany