Harbor Freight helmet stopped working

I have a Harbor Freight helmet and, it seems, it stopped working and stopped darkening when I strike the arc. This is a solar model. Is there some easy for for them or not. Thanks.

Ignoramus2187

This one?

Manual says the lithium batteries should be good for 6 years. Also suggests that the cover plate might need replacement.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

I'd be very concerned, about a welding helmet that didn't protect ones vision. That could really mess up the rest of your life, if you go blind.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I've got one of Harbor Freight's helmets. I only weld periodically, so before using the helmet I let it charge in the sunlight for about 15 minutes as Gunner suggested. I then test it by looking at a bare lightbulb, or a strong sun reflection on a metal surface. Shade should dim... If it dims, you're good to go... Chet

Reply to
Chet

Realize that the auto dark lenses block IR and UV 100% of the time.

Reply to
Pete C.

Yes, it is 100% safe to weld with a non-darkening helmet, it is just inconvenient. Even when it does not darken, it blocks IR and UV, and actually provides some darkening as well. Dark or not, it provides about same level of protection.

Ignoramus9593

Yep

I will see what I can do. The current was low (60 amps or so). That might explain it.

Ignoramus9593

Not sure I want to trust my eye sight to a HF product. I don't have that much confidence.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

What's that Lassie? You say that Winston fell down the old sci.engr.joining.welding mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue by Sun, 18 Apr 2010 21:06:55 -0700:

Mine started doing that at low amps(tig) but was fine at 100A(stick). I got a new one from northern tools. Looks like the same model. Exact same head gear.

I took the old HF one apart to see if I could get at the batteries. Thing was welded together real good, but I got it opened. Batteries are two lithium coin cells, that have solder tabs on them, soldered into the circuit board. Gave up at that point, since I beat the crap out of the case to get it opened.

I got my use out of it. In future I will look for one that has replaceable batteries.

Reply to
dan

"Bill McKee" wrote

. It also charges

Ain't it ridiculous? You can get a decent watch at a yard sale for a buck, and then, it's $5 to $8 for a battery.

It's as big a scam as printer ink. They should GIVE you printers for what you have to pay for a lifetime of ink for them.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

"Bill McKee" wrote in news:ZqadnfGNPoJyIFHWnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

Thank you, glad you brought that up. ;)

Reply to
Sano

I always pick up four batteries when they are on sale. I would buy more, but I don't like them sitting around that long before use. Then I use a little digital meter to test the old one and the new one. And older weak one will still function down to a certain level, but I like to keep one in there that's "hot".

Steve

Visit my blog at

Steve B

Note that you can significantly extend the shelf life of a cell or battery by refrigerating it. You probably don't want to truly freeze it, as that could burst the cell, but put them in a ziploc baggie and keep them in the unfrozen food section of the 'fridge.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Better living through chemistry!!!

[ but I don't like them sitting around that long before use.

just a note: one place I've found very inexpensive (maybe $3 for a pack of 4 or 6) button cells of all sizes is at Princess Auto which I suppose is the Canadian equivalent to HF....certainly carries much of the same re-branded stuff, so you might look there if you are in need. FYI

cheers,

-m in Ottawa

Reply to
mkzero