Harbor Freight helmet stopped working

I have a Harbor Freight helmet and, it seems, it stopped working and stopped darkening when I strike the arc. This is a solar model. Is
there some easy for for them or not. Thanks.
On 4/18/2010 8:39 PM, Ignoramus2187 wrote:

This one? http://www.harborfreight.com/manuals/46000-46999/46092.pdf
Manual says the lithium batteries should be good for 6 years. Also suggests that the cover plate might need replacement.
--Winston

Yep
I will see what I can do. The current was low (60 amps or so). That might explain it.
What's that Lassie? You say that Winston fell down the old sci.engr.joining.welding mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue by Sun, 18 Apr 2010 21:06:55 -0700:

Mine started doing that at low amps(tig) but was fine at 100A(stick). I got a new one from northern tools. Looks like the same model. Exact same head gear.
I took the old HF one apart to see if I could get at the batteries. Thing was welded together real good, but I got it opened. Batteries are two lithium coin cells, that have solder tabs on them, soldered into the circuit board. Gave up at that point, since I beat the crap out of the case to get it opened.
I got my use out of it. In future I will look for one that has replaceable batteries.
--

Dan H.
northshore MA.

Not sure I want to trust my eye sight to a HF product. I don't have that much confidence.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Ain't it ridiculous? You can get a decent watch at a yard sale for a buck, and then, it's $5 to $8 for a battery.
It's as big a scam as printer ink. They should GIVE you printers for what you have to pay for a lifetime of ink for them.
Steve

Thank you, glad you brought that up. ;)

I always pick up four batteries when they are on sale. I would buy more, but I don't like them sitting around that long before use. Then I use a little digital meter to test the old one and the new one. And older weak one will still function down to a certain level, but I like to keep one in there that's "hot".
Steve
Visit my blog at www.cabgbypasssurgery.com

    Note that you can significantly extend the shelf life of a cell or battery by refrigerating it. You probably don't want to truly freeze it, as that could burst the cell, but put them in a ziploc baggie and keep them in the unfrozen food section of the 'fridge.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
Better living through chemistry!!!
[ but I don't like them sitting around that long before use.

just a note: one place I've found very inexpensive (maybe $3 for a pack of 4 or 6) button cells of all sizes is at Princess Auto which I suppose is the Canadian equivalent to HF....certainly carries much of the same re-branded stuff, so you might look there if you are in need. FYI
cheers, -m in Ottawa
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Realize that the auto dark lenses block IR and UV 100% of the time.

Yes, it is 100% safe to weld with a non-darkening helmet, it is just inconvenient. Even when it does not darken, it blocks IR and UV, and actually provides some darkening as well. Dark or not, it provides about same level of protection.