Harbor Freight multipurpose machine any good?

This is on sale at my local HF retail store for half the price of the "comparable" Grizzly unit. Anyone think it's worth having?

mkerna

--Guess you're new at the HSM hobby, eh? In a word 'no' and neither is the Grizzly.

Reply to
steamer

They are pretty limited, and difficult to use what milling capabilities they do have, but even these basic units have their fans. The closest Grizzly is far from being twice as much, it's only another $200 and adds an adjustable height milling head and threading/feeding capability, *considerable* improvements:

Check on the 3-in-1 forum for a more balanced viewpoint. There is lots of discussion on the HF 5980, the previous version:

Personally I like a bigger 3-in-1, I have had a Shoptask for 7 years and love it.

Reply to
DT

The lack of lower speeds would bother me, even if there were no other negatives. And since the motor(s) seem to be built in, that would be hard to change.

Pete Stanaitis

--------------------------

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
spaco

They are not built in. A single motor is on the back side with a step pulley belt drive system. A push-pull spline clutch selects the lathe or mill. Like you pointed out, the speed selection is rather limited. But since this version does not do threading, not that much of a limit. You really shouldn't be turning any large diameter items on it, so a slow speed of 500 rpm seems OK.

The drive system of the Grizzly has more speeds and a much wider range.

Reply to
DT

On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 09:27:18 -0800 (PST), with neither quill nor qualm, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com quickly quoth:

Guaranteed to make precision parts with 0.100" tolerances!

-- Bite off more than you can chew, then chew it. Plan more than you can do, then do it. -- Anonymous

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Yeah, that's the one I meant. It's twice as much because my local HF has their 3-in-1 on sale for $499.

Reply to
mkerna

Awww...it can't be that bad. I just figured the Grizzly unit came from the same factory in China and I could start making stuff for only $500.

Reply to
mkerna

On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 19:30:05 -0800 (PST), with neither quill nor qualm, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com quickly quoth:

OK, maybe 0.020", then. Spend a bit more and get discrete machines. Combos always cause a lot more frustration, especially when you need to make 2+ of something. [My knowledge of this comes from combo woodworking machines (my buddy's ShopSmith), but I've heard the horror stories here, too.]

-- Bite off more than you can chew, then chew it. Plan more than you can do, then do it. -- Anonymous

Reply to
Larry Jaques

These are for price buyers only- lathe is strictly manual- no power feed, no threading Mill function essentially worthless Drill function also If you are serious about machine work, but space limitations dictate a 3 in

1, then look at

Jim Insolo

I think I'll go for separate machines. Thanks all.

Everytime I pick up the machinst magazines at the bookstore I see someone talking about a South Bend 9". I think I have room for that and a small milling machine.

Reply to
mkerna

Thanks for the additional inpput. I probably wouldn't be parting off a

1 1/2" bar at much over 150 rpm though. (I said 150 rpm just to show off. I'd probably really go at about 100).

Pete Stanaitis

DT wrote:

Reply to
spaco