Hardinge HC jack screw motor

I have a Hardinge HC on which the spindle speed control jack screw motor is not turning. Not sure if it is an electrical problem or what. Everything else
works on the machine and the spindle spins nice and quiet, but I can't adjust the speed with the knobs. The nut is down at the bottom of the jack screw. Somebody who has an HC says that he's seen those machines do that, and to kick the motor while in speed 2 and adjust the pot/knob up. I tried that, starting from light kicks to pretty firm, but no luck.
Looking for suggestions on how to fix it.
What's that Lassie? You say that rpseguin fell down the old rec.crafts.metalworking mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue by Thu, 13 Mar 2008 15:21:00 -0700 (PDT):

With the power off, crank the jack screw off of the bottom of its travel. Center the speed control settings and then apply power, and run the spindle. This worked for me when I some how got the thing stuck at one extreme end. If the jack screw goes back to where it was when you started, then you have a more serious problem than I can help you with.
Good luck.
Dan H.
--

Dan