Hardinge lathe HLV-H

Serial Number HM1-201 Circuit Diagram FLH-683

Anyone have any idea where I might be able to get information on the wiring of the relay panel?

Thanks, Russ

Reply to
Russ

No, but you ought to sell me that one and get a new one so you can get on with your business!

Reply to
EW

Russ,

Join the Hardinge Lathe group on Yahoo and I'm sure you'll get an answer there.

Ed

Reply to
cascadiadesign

Sorry, the lathe isn't mine to sell. I was just asked to see if I could fix it. Everything works except for the speed control. We only have two speeds now. It is an old unit. The wiring and relay remind me of 50s vintage navy electronic equipment I used to work on.

Thanks, I will do that. I didn't think of a yahoo group and google found this one for me.

Russ

snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote:

Reply to
Russ

Prettu much the same relay panel as the HC (chucker) if made after about the mid 60s.

Whats the problem?

I just fixed a speed control issue on a HC, Thursday. One of the switches in the drum banks was stuck, and the limit microswitch in the motor box right inside the front door was busted in half. Pretty common problem. Thats a 3ph motor btw that runs the jackscrew and the bottom 3 lefthand relays are the veri drive control relays. When you "start" the electrics with the Start button, and grab the run lever, only then will it put power on the relay. So you cant run the speed change motor with the vari drive not turning. You can push in the relay (left hand) by hand and see if the jack screw motor runs. The two big relays to the left are forward and reverse (faster slower)

Btw...thats at best.. a 1.5hp motor..and gutting the electrics and putting on a 3hp VFD or bigger is a very viable option and is cheaper than getting parts from Hardinge. There are enough switches on the drum switch to operate the VFD F/R easily. Just pick midrange and turn the jack screw on the varidrive motor up or down until it gives you the mid range speed (1500 rpm) and lock it in place with a hose clamp above and below the jack screw nut.

Ive personally have a HLV-H and a TFB so if you need help..ask.

Gunner

"Deep in her heart, every moslem woman yearns to show us her t*ts" John Griffin

Reply to
Gunner

Interested in a HC? I have one that is going unused at my shop.

Bob

Reply to
rleonard

Bob, what is an HC? Details please. Ivan Vegvary

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

How much..and where? Ive got a possible buyer

Gunner

"Deep in her heart, every moslem woman yearns to show us her t*ts" John Griffin

Reply to
Gunner

Also looking for Hardinge DSMA's the smaller footprint automatic chucker..air and hydraulic operated chucker.

Gunner

"Deep in her heart, every moslem woman yearns to show us her t*ts" John Griffin

Reply to
Gunner

Hardinge AHC Super Precision Automatic Chucker $7500 In Belin CT for $7.5K (just saw it passing by, remembered this discussion, I don't need one, I have other things to do with the money, and I have a moratorium on lathes at the moment, and no, it's not mine...)

Probably on the wrong coast for Gunner, I have no idea where EW is.

I also have no idea if that's a "good" price, just that it's way out of my league - $400 & $250 rigging is about as high as I've gone for a lathe.

Reply to
Ecnerwal

Gah. I hate following myself up (for readers with thread damaged newsreaders this came from the HLV-H thread), but what would seem to be the same place ("shop closing", Berlin CT) has a couple of other things perhaps of interest listed in separate craigslist postings, with pictures (the AHC post also has pictures):

Hardinge lathe DSM-59 - $2000

New britian gridleys for sale - $1500

Being a research lab trained shop monkey gone on to be a computer geek and wannabe HSM I have no idea if a gridley is a lathe with a massive bar feeding system, or just the bar feeding system - they appear to have a few, based on the pictures.

Plus, they mention "other machines"...

Reply to
Ecnerwal

AHC is not a HC chucker..the HC is a Hand chucker... The AHCs have been going for around $1000 or less out here in California, for a typical sample, the last 5 or so years. Ive stripped a few for spare parts...then stuck on an OmniTurn retrofit attachment, during it into a much better and faster CNC lathe.

"Deep in her heart, every moslem woman yearns to show us her t*ts" John Griffin

Reply to
Gunner

At work tonight I realized that the Hardinge HLV-H lathe that we have a problem with is the British manufactured one. I guess that is why the pictures I have seen don't match the electrical layout. It appears to be similar though. I am looking for circuit diagram FLH-683 if anyone has some info.

Thanks, Russ

Reply to
Russ

Gack!!..sigh...I dont have one for a B model..

My TFB is a Brit though...but its a front crank variable speed..not electrical.

You are likely going to have to go wire by wire.

Whats the problem?

Gunner

"Deep in her heart, every moslem woman yearns to show us her t*ts" John Griffin

Reply to
Gunner

We don't have the variable speed capability. Only the fast and slow. The speed control box doesn't do anything. It appears that one of the relays is not working. Actually I think the operator told me that there is already one relay not working so this would be two. If I could find relays that would make a big difference. I will have to check on the part numbers when I go back to work Friday night.

The serial number on this thing is HMT-201 so it must be pretty old. It is used just about every day though.

Thanks for the assistance.

Russ

Reply to
Russ

You could try phoning Hardinge in the UK, They should still have drawings for HLV-H's.

Hardinge Machine Tools, Ltd. Silverton Road, Matford Park Marsh Barton Exeter, Devon EX2 8NN England Phone: (44) 1392 208181 Fax: (44) 1392 208199

I have spoken to them and they were friendly (although no luck with parts for an HLV-BK :-(

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Thanks for the contact information. I will try to call them in the next couple of days. Maybe they will have the schematics and parts list. The relays are 240v and the machine runs on 440 3 ph. Way over my head without documentation.