Heat/air for small garage/shop

I have been lookign around at used heat/air conditioners for my garage/ shop. It is not used all the time, mainly on weekends currently. It is a 30x30x10 metal building with 2x4 walls in the inside and 2x4 trusses on the ceiling.

I found a local heating air guy that has an 80's 3 ton unit that he says was workign when pulled out of the house. The owner wanted to upgrade. But, it is not a split system like I have in my house.

Is there a way to use this and it not look bad ? I mean, how would you do the duct from the outside to the inside with a 2x4 wall?

Would this be too inefficent since it is old even though I am not in there all the time. It does get terribly hot in there in the summer, I am not as concerned about heat in the winter. I am in the process of insulating currently and have no inside wall material as of yet other than studs.

I have a 100 amp panel in my garage.

This unit is 300 bucks.

Reply to
stryped

For my money (and in my 24x40 shop) a Home Depot window unit in the back endwall works fine. Pushes cold air all the way to the far wall, no problem. My requirements at the shop are different from my home. I'm only there once or twice a week, and I don't want sweat pouring off me while I work. A window unit knocks the 100 degrees 80% humidity down to something comfortable in about 30 minutes. They run for years, are quite efficient, and when they quit, you just buy another for ~$300. Much cheaper in the long run.

Reply to
RBnDFW

Problem is I dont have a window.

Reply to
stryped

stryped wrote in news:9121fe5c-3426-482a-b060- snipped-for-privacy@b23g2000yqn.googlegroups.com:

By "split system" are you referring to a zoned system or a system with the compressor outside and the evaporater coils in the attic?

If this is, essentially, a heavy-duty window unit then there may be several options available....

Reply to
RAM³

This is a system where the air handler, compressor everythign sit outside. I think they are called a "package" system. Basically the whole thing sits outside.

Reply to
stryped

stryped wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@12g2000yqi.googlegroups.com:

If the system calls for ducting, simply box in the ducting on the back of the building and run it as close to the peak of the roof as possible for maximum cooling effect.

Reply to
RAM³

stryped wrote in news:b4a1c195-7cdd-4fbc-836a- snipped-for-privacy@u21g2000yqc.googlegroups.com:

An 8' 2x4, some nails, a saw, and a hammer can supply you with an appropriate opening.

Or is this a rented building?

Reply to
RAM³

Just off the top of my head. A three ton system from the eighties ought to draw about 15 amps, at 240 volts. Some where along in that range.

Three tons should cool that shop in a hurry, and only have to run now and again. The humidity control won't be great, but it will be cooler.

You'd have to put the unit outdoors, and cut some holes in the wall for the ducts. One option is to run a supply air duct along the ceiling, and use a grille in the wall for return air.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

"Sawzall".

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Inside / outside.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I use a 24 inch wall mounted industrial fan and no air conditioning. It works fine for me. I wrap a towel around my head on hot days and can work in 100 degree temp all day long.

Ignoramus18864

Nor did I

Reply to
RBnDFW

Hunt up one of the units like they use in motels with heat and A/C in one unit. That's what I have. Works real well.

Reply to
Steve W.

They are made for 'Mobile Homes'.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Don't pull a 'Wylie Coyote' and try cooling it with a block of dry ice and a big fan. ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

It sounds like they were trying for the group discount on Darwin Awards. :(

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

They are not specifically for mobile homes. You see them alot in southern states, on typical framed homes, also they are very simular to commercial roof top units. As to the OP. Set it on the ground, and cut a couple holes for supply and return duct through the wall. as for the $300 price tag, it seems steep to me. Maybe you can get the seller to make a bit of duct work to get through the wall for the same price. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net...

I found a 2005 Bryant package unit for 500 delivered to me.

I am still having trouble invisioning how the dict would run from the unit.

Reply to
stryped

The Packaged systems are what you often see in Hotel/Motel rooms. They have some issues that a mini-split unit does not. They are often put below windows as they require such a large opening. IMO, if buying new a mini-split is a much better option, as the only holes in the wall is the opening for the wires and piping.

I will be installing a mini-split in my shop later this year.

Reply to
Ralph E Lindberg

Post a model number or a link, if it is the typical packaged unit the all of it sits outside there will be places on the unit to connect supply and return air ducts. Greg

Reply to
Greg O