Height gages

seem be able

Yes, here they are...

I will try to locate or make some sort of a scribe to go on the arms of the gauge that I will keep (most likely the Digimatic).

Ignoramus10071

The home-made scriber on mine is a 1/4" lathe bit with one end beveled.

They are useful to measure and lay out a hole pattern on a casting, such as the mounting holes on a pump or its motor adapter. Once you have jigged the casting square and level you can indicate the holes or snug-fitting drill bit shanks to get their relative X and Y coordinates even if they aren't in line and the casting has rough edges. That can be very hard to do with a caliper.

You could shim and strap the pump and adapter to angle plates and scribe the hole pattern directly if you have transfer punches the right size but not enough clearance to use them properly, for example put one in the hole backwards and line up on its point when the mounting flange is smaller than the pump housing.

I use cone point set screws to align the scriber with tapped holes. If the points don't wobble as you turn them they are probably well enough centered.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

[ ... ]

[ ... ]

Whenever I needed to set a height gauge to a truly accurate height without having to wring a stack of gauge blocks to accomplish the setting.

By itself, it is useless, but in combination with a good height gauge it make the use of the latter easier.

[ ... ]

Yes -- you stole it. :-)

[ ... ]

O.K. It does not strike me as something which needs a manual, other than perhaps for the care of the gauge blocks.

I have perl, but I prefer C as I was writing in it long before perl was first released by Larry Wall. (And yes, I got perl quite early once it was released.)

Among other things, perl is an interpreter, so it is slower, expecially when you want lots of number crunching.

How much range does your quill have?

This one needed to be 8.048" long. Or to go for a double length, try 16.097". A triple length would be 24.145", and my lathe is

24" between centers -- not counting the length taken by the chuck and the live center in the tailstock.

IIRC, the quill travel in a Series 1 Bridgeport is only 5", so you would have to touch off then lower the knee four inches before using the quill. And gripping an aluminum pipe in a mill vise which is that long (and with only two contact points distorting the pipe to oval) would certainly not be strong enough for reasonable milling. The 6-jaw chuck gripping from the inside aided by the live center chuck gripping the inside of the other end made things a lot more rigid.

We don't depend solely on WEP. This is a pair of bridges, so what can be done directly connecting is limited, we use ssh for any logins from one system to another, and a firewall on each end of the link.

I never bothered to try to connect to other systems around the area, but saw several which had no WEP enabled at all. I tracked one down to a neighbor who did not even know that it was enabled. It was part of a hub for his net connection -- through cable, IIRC, or perhaps ADSL. This was before the Fiber Optics links showed up in the neighborhood. I warned him about it, and hopefully it is now turned off.

I presume that Aircrack is a linux package.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

A height gage plus a surface plate make a glorified micrometer, with an extra two degrees of nulled freedom, minus the twisting anvil, plus the ability to fit probes.

Disadvantage: it's a little hard to put one in your pocket.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

It wasn't anything like that when I got mine from MSC quite a few years ago.

I've got a set of holders designed for stacking gauge blocks after wringing them together which include longer 1" blocks to make a more stable balance.

Not with the holders.

Hmm ... the 1-2-3 blocks aren't usually certified to the accuracy of good gauge blocks. Even the cheap Chinese sets are certified to be within 0.000050" (50 micro-inches). Better gauge blocks can be much more accurate.

Hmm ... not with *my* bore gauges -- tri-mikes by Tesa/B&S, and similar ones by Mitutoyo and other makers. Those measure at three points 120 degrees apart, so they are truly self-centering -- and are likely to discover lobed bores if they exist. But this means that they need to be set to ground ID rings to be truly accurate.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Height gages are worthless..or largely so, without a surface plate to put them on.

I currently have 9 for sale.

Gunner

The current Democratic party has lost its ideological basis for existence.

- It is NOT fiscally responsible.

- It is NOT ethically honorable.

- It has started wars based on lies.

- It does not support the well-being of americans - only billionaires.

- It has suppresed constitutional guaranteed liberties.

- It has foisted a liar as president upon America.

- It has violated US national sovereignty in trade treaties.

- It has refused to enforce the national borders.

...It no longer has valid reasons to exist. Lorad474

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Really handy

Btw...the white mity with the blocks is NOT a height gage..but a height standard. Its used for setting or measuring uninstrumented height gages.

Which is what I use most often. Ive got a Cadillac thats nearly 36" tall. Which of course is a pain in the ass. How much you want for yours?

Gunner

The current Democratic party has lost its ideological basis for existence.

- It is NOT fiscally responsible.

- It is NOT ethically honorable.

- It has started wars based on lies.

- It does not support the well-being of americans - only billionaires.

- It has suppresed constitutional guaranteed liberties.

- It has foisted a liar as president upon America.

- It has violated US national sovereignty in trade treaties.

- It has refused to enforce the national borders.

...It no longer has valid reasons to exist. Lorad474

Reply to
Gunner Asch

The Heightmaster is as I said..used to set uninstrumented height gages.Or to measure them

It sits off to the side of your surface plate and is used to set or measure.

Btw..Ive got at least 9 surface plates for sale

Gunner

The current Democratic party has lost its ideological basis for existence.

- It is NOT fiscally responsible.

- It is NOT ethically honorable.

- It has started wars based on lies.

- It does not support the well-being of americans - only billionaires.

- It has suppresed constitutional guaranteed liberties.

- It has foisted a liar as president upon America.

- It has violated US national sovereignty in trade treaties.

- It has refused to enforce the national borders.

...It no longer has valid reasons to exist. Lorad474

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Cadillac was another maker of height standards. Out west we see more of them then B&Ss

Gunner

The current Democratic party has lost its ideological basis for existence.

- It is NOT fiscally responsible.

- It is NOT ethically honorable.

- It has started wars based on lies.

- It does not support the well-being of americans - only billionaires.

- It has suppresed constitutional guaranteed liberties.

- It has foisted a liar as president upon America.

- It has violated US national sovereignty in trade treaties.

- It has refused to enforce the national borders.

...It no longer has valid reasons to exist. Lorad474

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Correct.

The current Democratic party has lost its ideological basis for existence.

- It is NOT fiscally responsible.

- It is NOT ethically honorable.

- It has started wars based on lies.

- It does not support the well-being of americans - only billionaires.

- It has suppresed constitutional guaranteed liberties.

- It has foisted a liar as president upon America.

- It has violated US national sovereignty in trade treaties.

- It has refused to enforce the national borders.

...It no longer has valid reasons to exist. Lorad474

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Gunner falls over in a bleary haze..gasping for breath.......

The current Democratic party has lost its ideological basis for existence.

- It is NOT fiscally responsible.

- It is NOT ethically honorable.

- It has started wars based on lies.

- It does not support the well-being of americans - only billionaires.

- It has suppresed constitutional guaranteed liberties.

- It has foisted a liar as president upon America.

- It has violated US national sovereignty in trade treaties.

- It has refused to enforce the national borders.

...It no longer has valid reasons to exist. Lorad474

Reply to
Gunner Asch

I have several Starrets and quite a number of Standard blocks, up to

2x3'

Most are labled Grade A, a few are Bs

Gunner

The current Democratic party has lost its ideological basis for existence.

- It is NOT fiscally responsible.

- It is NOT ethically honorable.

- It has started wars based on lies.

- It does not support the well-being of americans - only billionaires.

- It has suppresed constitutional guaranteed liberties.

- It has foisted a liar as president upon America.

- It has violated US national sovereignty in trade treaties.

- It has refused to enforce the national borders.

...It no longer has valid reasons to exist. Lorad474

Reply to
Gunner Asch

What radio? I did electrical QA on the PRC-77.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Depends on the size of your pocket.....

The current Democratic party has lost its ideological basis for existence.

- It is NOT fiscally responsible.

- It is NOT ethically honorable.

- It has started wars based on lies.

- It does not support the well-being of americans - only billionaires.

- It has suppresed constitutional guaranteed liberties.

- It has foisted a liar as president upon America.

- It has violated US national sovereignty in trade treaties.

- It has refused to enforce the national borders.

...It no longer has valid reasons to exist. Lorad474

Reply to
Gunner Asch

I was also counting a granite surface plate.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

I'm hanging my head in shame. I bought an old vernier height gage to use to hold a test indicator and thought I might as well make a scriber. I was going to silver braze a piece of carbide to something and you just pointed out what should have been obvious to me.

I like your idea.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

So YOU are the guy! Hummmm....well..its been a long time and I like you anyways

Gunner

The current Democratic party has lost its ideological basis for existence.

- It is NOT fiscally responsible.

- It is NOT ethically honorable.

- It has started wars based on lies.

- It does not support the well-being of americans - only billionaires.

- It has suppresed constitutional guaranteed liberties.

- It has foisted a liar as president upon America.

- It has violated US national sovereignty in trade treaties.

- It has refused to enforce the national borders.

...It no longer has valid reasons to exist. Lorad474

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Well, a 0-24" micrometer wouldn't fit your pocket either.

Wes

Wes

If you mill by hand or drill or such. Yes.

Height gages contain carbide measuring shoe.

Place a block of metal or what not - on a small slab of stone. Set the gage to 2.125" and gently slide the shoe across the blued surface - perfect line. If not blued it will cut a fine line.

It isn't just measuring the top of stuff.

Mart> I had some weird deal today, having bought five height gages, out of

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Order the block when shipping is free :-)

Mart>

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn