OT: Holy Cow!

Just booted my Tandy 1000TL2, which has been sitting on a shelf unused since 1992. It not only posted, showing the whopping 728K memory, but the system clock was only 1 hour 20 min off, with correct date. How weird is that? JR Dweller in the cellar

-------------------------------------------------------------- Home Page:

If you're not the lead dog, the view never changes Doubt yourself, and the real world will eat you alive The world doesn't revolve around you, it revolves around me No skeletons in the closet; just decomposing corpses

-------------------------------------------------------------- Dependence is Vulnerability:

-------------------------------------------------------------- "Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal" "I'm sorry, Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.."

Reply to
JR North

like a trip to the past. I have some scripts from 15 years ago, like a script to check whether my girlfriend of 15 years ago is online etc

Ignoramus10071

Come on, I can't believe any battery on a mother board can last any where near 17 years. If it weren't for that I could "sort of" believe it. :-) ...lew...

Reply to
Lewis Hartswick

Not too terribly weird - it probably has a lithium battery, and the CMOS clock chip only draws microamps, which is what lithiums were designed for - mind-bogglingly long life, at very small currents.

I'm more surprised that the mechanical stuff (fan(s) and disk drive(s)) worked OK after sitting idle for so long.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

If you're not the lead dog, the view never changes Doubt yourself, and the real world will eat you alive The world doesn't revolve around you, it revolves around me No skeletons in the closet; just decomposing corpses

-------------------------------------------------------------- "Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal" "I'm sorry, Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.."

Reply to
JR North

I have the home made digital segment LED clock I built in the 70's. It is running in the bedroom. It was a gift to my beloved back then and I used Monsanto Seven segments. I think the supply has ripple on it but am afraid to open the metal box due to the pcb design - one never knows if solder joints or pcb material are being held by pressure or quality. I suspect lack thereof it was done before I got NASA certified. When I left Ca. I was doing super set above the initial qual set I had.

Mart> >> Just booted my Tandy 1000TL2, which has been sitting on a shelf unused

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn