Small engine running problem

I picked up a clean 4 hp Craftsman engine. It starts and runs fine after pressing the bulb primer 5 times, but stops after that gas is gone. If I keep pressing the bulb, it keeps running.

I removed the center bolt from the bottom of the float bowl, the bolt is also the main jet. It had some crud in the cross holes, so I cleaned them and ran a #75 drill into the jet to clear it. I also ran it through the tube in the carb. No change.

I then discovered that if I keep the bulb pressed in it runs fine, ie, I do not need to keep pumping it.

Reply to
DT

Is the bulb leaking air except when you cover the leak with your finger?

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor

Hah! I was thinking "air leak", but I couldn't make that consistent with everything working when he had the bulb pressed in.

It may not be a leak in the part of the bulb that you cover with your finger -- it could be a split around the edge, that you compress when you push the bulb in. In fact, that may be more likely -- those bulbs flex the most right at the base, that's where you'd expect one to split from over use or from age.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Sounds like a Tecumsch I have on my Craftsman high wheeler. Mine is kept where it is very hot [90 to 100] on most summer days and very dry. Any thing rubber that is under stress lasts but a few years. My advise, get a parts breakdown and order all new rubber parts. I just replaced the smog tube and the 'O' ring on the float bowl. This reminds me to order the a new bulb next time I order part from that CS Co [Sears that is].

CP

Reply to
Pilgrim

If you're not the lead dog, the view never changes Doubt yourself, and the real world will eat you alive The world doesn't revolve around you, it revolves around me No skeletons in the closet; just decomposing corpses

-------------------------------------------------------------- "Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal" "I'm sorry, Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.."

Reply to
JR North

Upon further thinking, if this engine is equipped with a smog system check the short hose from it to the carb. If it is shot you may be losing all your vacuum to suck in the gas. If it is a horizontal it may be hidden under the flywheel.

CP

Reply to
Pilgrim