Novice - HO Proto 2000 PA running problem

I recently purchased a new Proto 2000 PA, which probably had a lot of shelf time. At first, it ran great. Now, after about 15 minutes total running time, it runs for about 5 feet and then stops. If I give it a little nudge, it runs for another 5 feet and stops, and so on ... . The tracks are clean and other Proto locomotives, and other makes, run fine over the same track using the same power pack set at approximately the same voltage level. Is it possible that it needs a cleaning and/or a lube job, or do I have a bigger problem? Any help/suggestions will be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Reply to
Byron Lane

Odds are that the wiring system inside has some bad contacts. Open the loco and check all of the wiring system ofr problems. The biggest problem with any loco are points at which mechanical connections are used to transmit the electricty as it is possible to get some dirt between the connection parts.

Bob May

Bryon:

I am not sure about the PAs but I had the same problem with Proto FA units. The problem was the rubber band (belt) that connects the drive train to the fan. I just removed that and away they went.

Morgan

Reply to
MDC

Reply to