slall gloat

There is a tradition of posting "gloats" in another group I read. I haven't seen such here, so I'm starting the tradition with a small gloat.

We went to a garage sale last weekend at a homs where the deceased husband had worked for a railroad. After an enjoyable ten minutes talking about train trips, the widow (not recent) said she'd had some railroad books her husband had saved, but she thought they were all gone. I checked through the table and found a mint condition "Uniform Code of Operating Rules" from 1962.

Every book onthe table was marked 25 cents. I told her it was probably worth more, but she wouldn't take anything but 25 cents.

I think I did pretty good :-).

Reply to
lgb

A couple of months ago I snatched up a 1967 edition that someone left on the freebie table at my model RR club meeting. This one has 1977 BN Signal Aspects And Indications supplement glued in the back. A few years ago a friend who knows I'm into trains gave me a copy of the 1926 edition of the Engineer's Handbook that he picked up someplace. Now THAT ONE has some real interesting information on firing and maintaining steamers.

Reply to
Rick Jones

I've got something similar. It's "Practical Locomotive Running and Management" copyright 1920. Fun to read. I got it at a garage sale as well.

Reply to
lgb