semi OT Computer help

I just messed up by trying to up grade my browser from Sea Monkey (not sure what version) to the latest one,

1.1.17 and it didn't show me any provision to import my old bookmarks and e-mail. I still had installed Thunderbird and Firefox so went looking to see if I can do something with them as far as finding the old e-mail and no luck. I prefer Sea monkey since I used Netscape for so many years and am use to it. I can't even send e-mail with the new version of Seamonkey because I dont remember what to put in the SMTP box and cant find the equivalent in Thunderbird. So I'm in deep do do. Can anyone give me a few pointers? HELP!!! Thanks. ...lew...using Thunderbird I hope.
Reply to
Lew Hartswick

Lew Hartswick wrote in rec.crafts.metalworking:

Neither Firefox nor Thunderbird have any provision for Exporting anything.

Reply to
RAM³

Balderdash!

Thunderbird 2.00.22 Address book / tools/ Export

break

Lou,

Dunno what OS you are using, and even then I think there are differences in locations.

Mine are located in Documents and Settings/ "User name"/ Application Data /Thunderbird / profiles/phaengmx.default/abook.mab Maybe that will help get you in the neighborhood.

But if you didn't export the address book already, you may have a long slog recovering it.

I would expect your incoming mail to be something like pop.earthlink.net on port 110.

The outgoing mail would be smtpauth.earthlink.net on port 587.

Don't forget to add the (dot) earthlink.net in your user name field.

News address that I use is news.east.earthlink.net on port 119.

Hope this helps some.

Richard

Reply to
cavelamb

I generally try to keep Sea Monkey up to date as well. I have 1.1.17 which I compiled on 090725. I never have to import anything. Whatever was in the old one just carries on to the newer one... but that's in FreeBSD.

be of some help... but I only clicked through the 1st branch, so I can only surmise that it eventually gets around to giving you the SMTP server.

HTH.

Reply to
Steve Ackman

SMTP.(provider).com JR Dweller in the cellar

-------------------------------------------------------------- Home Page:

If you're not the lead dog, the view never changes Doubt yourself, and the real world will eat you alive The world doesn't revolve around you, it revolves around me No skeletons in the closet; just decomposing corpses

-------------------------------------------------------------- Dependence is Vulnerability:

-------------------------------------------------------------- "Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal" "I'm sorry, Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.."

Reply to
JR North

I don't use seamonkey any more but the "smtp" block should ask you for the server and the port. The server is usually something like smtp.gmail.com and the port is normally 25.

In Thunderbird right click on the account, Settings, Outgoing Server, Edit.

Cheers,

John B. (johnbslocombatgmaildotcom)

Reply to
John B.

Yes..use Forte's Agent for newsgroups

Gunner

'In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American... There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language.. and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.' Theodore Ro osevelt 1907

Reply to
Gunner Asch

OK I'll give these things a try. Thanks for the assist. ...lew...

Reply to
Lew Hartswick