Dang, I Need to Redo my bookmarks....

lost my Internet Explorer and 5 yrs of bookmarks.
Aren't computers great???????
does anyone have a list prepared of most of the basic, most popular,
etc model websites that I can start with?
I have a few, squadron, greatmodels, etc.... but my brain is forgetting most of the others....
*$(#)#) I really hate computers.
thx all - Craig
Great thing about AOL, it's possible to backup bookmarks and restore them at any point in the future.
I believe the same thing is possible with IE but is slightly more complicated.
(kim)

Nah, it's not that hard.
To export (backup) your bookmarks in Internet Explorer... 1. Click on "File". 2. Click on "Import and Export". 3. Click on "Next". 4. Choose "Export Favorites" and click "Next". 5. Select the folder you want to export from. (Just choose the top level, it gets them all.) 6. Choose the destination directory where you want to save it. Preferably a different partition or external drive. 7. Click finish.
The export will finish up and once done, burn your file to a CD and label it appropriately. If you can do a rewriteable CD that would be best so you can back them up periodically.

You can do pretty much the same thing in Firefox. 1. Select "Bookmarks" 2. Then "Manage Bookmarks..." 3. Under the File menu select "Export." 4. Select Your destination, click on "Save" and you're done.
That's how it works on the Mac, anyway. It save it as an html file and the links are hot. You don't see the URLs on the page, but you can double click on the link and it will take you to the site.

I can send you a .html file of all of my modeling bookmarks off-group, if you'd like. It should open in any browser as a page full of links.
--
- Rufus

Here are a few to get you started:
http://www.scalemodelindex.com / http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~atong / http://www.cybermodeler.com/index.shtml http://scalemodel.net/scripts/asp/catresult2.aspx?category=Magazines
Tom

For future reference you can keep a copy of your bookmarks quite easily.
Thery are just links in a normal windows folder. For XP you will find it somewhere like this
C:\Documents and Settings\<profile name>\Favorites
The <profile name> is likely to be the user name that you use to log in. You might not notice this if you only have one user because you never have to log in.
So for example my folder is
C:\Documents and Settings\Nigel\Favorites
You can treat this folder and its contents just like any other windows folder - in that you can copy it to another place on the hard disk, floppy disk, USB Stick, CD etc. for backup purposes.
If you reinstall windows, get a new computer or just lose the contents somehow it just a simple matter of replacing the folder (and its contents) with your backup.
Cheers,
Nigel
Nigel Heather <nigel@ wrote:

If you use something like Firefox or Mozilla as a browser there is a small utility that will back up all your preferences, account details, bookmarks, emails, etc. so that you can recover from a crash. Of course, like most things, it is only as good as the last time it was backed up so frequent back-ups are required to stay current. I try to do mine at least once a month but do it more frequently if I have been adding a lot of bookmarks to my collection.
--
Larry Green

Craig, The only bookmark you need is http://www.scalemodelindex.com /
Ray Austin, TX =
Carl, If you wish, I can send you an email with my bookmarks as an attachment. I backup all that stuff on a re-writable DVD, so like last month my power supply did the self eating watermellon trick and took the main hard disk drive with it, I only lost enough stuff to make me open the hot line to the Almighty. What really got me was that I lost the spread sheets containing all the data on my stash, esp. how much I paid for each kit, my backup of that particular item was a year old, so it was basically useless, same for the paint, decal and aftermarket spreadsheets. I empathize with you, which is why I make the offer to send you my bookmarks...now favorites (yuck, microsoft-ese once again, those Bozo's don't know the difference between a TV and a computer). Let me know if I can help. Bruce

I think they do, actually, if only that once you turn a TV ON, you expect it to stay ON, and not screw up every time you change channels... and that turning it off then on again is actually NOT a solution to the problem... (sigh)
M. J. Rudy http://www.geocities.com/mjrudymodels/index.html mjrudy AT hotmail DOT com

why is the screen always blue, daddy? are you supposed to hit the keyboard?
"M. J. Rudy" wrote:

I've also discovered that unlike some old TVs, whacking it on the side of the box doesn't get you anywhere. It might feel good for a second but then your hand starts to hurt.
Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.