Dang, I Need to Redo my bookmarks....

lost my Internet Explorer and 5 yrs of bookmarks.

Aren't computers great???????

does anyone have a list prepared of most of the basic, most popular, etc model websites that I can start with?

I have a few, squadron, greatmodels, etc.... but my brain is forgetting most of the others....

*$(#)#) I really hate computers.

thx all - Craig

Reply to
crw59

Great thing about AOL, it's possible to backup bookmarks and restore them at any point in the future.

I believe the same thing is possible with IE but is slightly more complicated.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

I can send you a .html file of all of my modeling bookmarks off-group, if you'd like. It should open in any browser as a page full of links.

Reply to
Rufus

Here are a few to get you started:

Tom

Reply to
Tom

For future reference you can keep a copy of your bookmarks quite easily.

Thery are just links in a normal windows folder. For XP you will find it somewhere like this

C:\Documents and Settings\\Favorites

The is likely to be the user name that you use to log in. You might not notice this if you only have one user because you never have to log in.

So for example my folder is

C:\Documents and Settings\Nigel\Favorites

You can treat this folder and its contents just like any other windows folder - in that you can copy it to another place on the hard disk, floppy disk, USB Stick, CD etc. for backup purposes.

If you reinstall windows, get a new computer or just lose the contents somehow it just a simple matter of replacing the folder (and its contents) with your backup.

Cheers,

Nigel

Reply to
Nigel Heather

Nigel Heather For future reference you can keep a copy of your bookmarks quite easily.

If you use something like Firefox or Mozilla as a browser there is a small utility that will back up all your preferences, account details, bookmarks, emails, etc. so that you can recover from a crash. Of course, like most things, it is only as good as the last time it was backed up so frequent back-ups are required to stay current. I try to do mine at least once a month but do it more frequently if I have been adding a lot of bookmarks to my collection.

Reply to
Larry Green

Craig, The only bookmark you need is

Ray Austin, TX ===

Reply to
Ray S. & Nayda Katzaman

Reply to
Bruce Apple

I think they do, actually, if only that once you turn a TV ON, you expect it to stay ON, and not screw up every time you change channels... and that turning it off then on again is actually NOT a solution to the problem... (sigh)

M. J. Rudy

AT hotmail DOT com

Reply to
M. J. Rudy

why is the screen always blue, daddy? are you supposed to hit the keyboard?

Reply to
someone

I've also discovered that unlike some old TVs, whacking it on the side of the box doesn't get you anywhere. It might feel good for a second but then your hand starts to hurt.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Nah, it's not that hard.

To export (backup) your bookmarks in Internet Explorer...

  1. Click on "File".
  2. Click on "Import and Export".
  3. Click on "Next".
  4. Choose "Export Favorites" and click "Next".
  5. Select the folder you want to export from. (Just choose the top level, it gets them all.)
  6. Choose the destination directory where you want to save it. Preferably a different partition or external drive.
  7. Click finish.

The export will finish up and once done, burn your file to a CD and label it appropriately. If you can do a rewriteable CD that would be best so you can back them up periodically.

Reply to
b4d93r

You can do pretty much the same thing in Firefox. 1. Select "Bookmarks" 2. Then "Manage Bookmarks..." 3. Under the File menu select "Export." 4. Select Your destination, click on "Save" and you're done.

That's how it works on the Mac, anyway. It save it as an html file and the links are hot. You don't see the URLs on the page, but you can double click on the link and it will take you to the site.

Reply to
Don McIntyre