Semi-OT: Email Program

Folks, these are the two best groups on usenet for real practical help, so pls pardon the semi-OT post.
Let me start out by saying I have been happy with Windows and Outlook
Express for 20 years until now. I have 2000 on this computer and no serious problems or plans to change OS, except now Outlook Express is acting up. I won't go into the sob story, but I need to install a 3rd part email program. If it won't work with 2000, I'll change to XP, but won't install 7 or 8.
I'd rather ask you fellers and fellerettes instead of the computer groups because I need "practical" advice that I can install in one hour or less and not tie up several weekends trying to set it up and download updates.
Thanks in advance!! Happy Friday!!! It's 5 o'clock somewhere!!
Snuffy
On Fri, 30 Oct 2015 11:43:39 -0700
wrote:

try? https://sites.google.com/site/simpledotnet/outlook-express-6
On 10/30/2015 1:43 PM, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:

Depends...
I am a Thunderbird user and have been for at least a decade. Prior to that I was using Eudora and some other "store boughten" 3rd party mail clients.
Thunderbird is, AFAIC, THE best mail client out there at any price and it's FREE.
Not saying that Outlook can't do the same - maybe it can, but will numerous users bitching about it's security problems, etc. why bother?
Thunderbird handles not only your email but will also sync with your calendar and handle newsgroups.
I've not found much that Thunderbird cannot handle and handle well.
Give it a try, the only thing you have to lose is the bit of time it takes for you to decide whether or not it's for you. It is, again, FREE!
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/

I'm a long-time Thunderbird user too; it works for me.
Perce

Double ditto's to that.
Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:

I've been using OE for 16 years, it does what it says on the tin. You don't say what the problem is. XP is miles better than 2000, go for it! Thunderbird is a pain to set up.
On 10/30/2015 4:09 PM, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

I'm just about certain that Thunderbird has evolved beyond the pain to set up times. Its been a couple of years but I put it on my wife's computer to use when my machine was down. I recall it was quite simple.

Thunderbird has a lot of options that can be set. That might confuse some people, but its defaults are reasonable so it should work for most right out of the box.
On 10/30/2015 05:55 PM, Nil wrote:

I use Thunderbird on both Windows and Linux boxes. In addition to email it also can do newsgroups.

Have you had any problems with it?
-jsw
On 10/31/2015 05:44 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:

Not in the last few years. I did have one Linux version that couldn't find its own mail. I pointed KMail at the directories. It read the stored messages with no problem so I stayed with KMail and KNode for news.
The more recent releases have been trouble free.
In typed:

If you have a choice of XP, W7, or W8, my personal opinion is that you should pick W7.
I have XP on two computers and it works fine for me, but it is no longer supported by Microsoft and that creates some security issues.
I also have W7 on several computers, and it works well. I did the free upgrade from W7 to W10 on a couple of them, and that works okay too.
I don't have W8 anywhere and I don't want it. W8 reminds me of Windows ME and Windows Vista -- both were "upgrades" or new versions and both were crap.
typed:

longer

free

Windows ME

were

Thanks. I may have to stick with XP for compatibility reasons. What security issues have you seen with XP since it's no longer supported? I have had none with 2000 myself.
wrote in message

Thanks. I may have to stick with XP for compatibility reasons. What security issues have you seen with XP since it's no longer supported? I have had none with 2000 myself. ===============The only problem I see with XP and IE8 is websites not displaying correctly, compared to Firefox.
On 10/31/2015 05:39 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:

None. We have several XP build machines that can't be upgraded for various reasons. The company has decided to restrict their access to the internet just to be sure.

This isn't an anti-Microsoft rant but IE8 was a dog. The Javascript engine was very slow and with more sites depending heavily on client side Javascript it's a real loser.

When I'm using dialup and speed really shows, IE8 loads uncached sites faster than Firefox 42. Also Firefox won't display enhanced NWS weather radar and doesn't suggest which plug-in is missing. I fiddled with Adobe and some Mozilla-suggested Flash alternatives a bit, then went back to IE8. -jsw
On 10/31/2015 01:23 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:

Firefox 42 is a beta developer's version that won't be released to the general public until next month. 41.0.2 shows the NWS site fine on my 7 laptop. You can always tell the pioneers by the arrows in their backs.
How a site loads and performs can vary. We have one J2EE/Struts2 product that depends on client side Javascript. Operations that can take 30 seconds or longer on IE8 perform fine on IE9.
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/archive/2010/03/18/the-new-javascript-engine-in-internet-explorer-9.aspx
We dropped support for IE8 and advised our clients to use Chrome if their machines couldn't run IE9.
With the trend towards HTML5 and heavy client side Javascript, along with the deprecation of Flash, Java applets, ActiveX, and other security nightmares enjoy IE8 while you can.

Oops, I typed that from memory. It's 41.0.2 on XP.
On 10/31/2015 04:31 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:

I don't know why it doesn't do NWS. I don't even get the banner saying "Are you really, really sure you want to let Flash out of its cage?"
| When I'm using dialup and speed really shows, IE8 loads uncached sites | faster than Firefox 42. Also Firefox won't display enhanced NWS | weather radar and doesn't suggest which plug-in is missing. I fiddled | with Adobe and some Mozilla-suggested Flash alternatives a bit, then | went back to IE8. | -jsw |
The landing page I get doesn't need anything, but if I click on the map it goes to a page set to loop. On that page is Flash. There's a blurb saying that Java is required for looping, but that's commented out, so I'm guessing it was replaced with Flash. I don't have Flash installed so I can't test that. I just get a gray panel saying, "a plugin is required...". It sounds like there may be a problem with your Flash install.
If it's working for you in IE8 that means you must have script and ActiveX enabled. That's *very* risky. I haven't allowed any version of IE online for many years and wouldn't. It's not only a security mess. It's also been the major target for many years, so there are a lot of known exploits, involving script- based attacks in IE.