Semi-OT: Email Program

On 11/01/2015 06:37 AM, Mayayana wrote:

http://radar.weather.gov/ridge/radar_lite.php?rid=FTG&product=N0R&loop=yes
doesn't ask for any plugins.
http://radar.weather.gov/Conus/index_loop.php
does if you click on the map. I get the 'Do you want to allow Flash to run. blurb. Given that it's a government site they'll probably be using Flash after everyone else has moved on.
Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:

There are fewer problems than they'd like you to think , all the hackers are now focused on the newer OS's . I have several comps running XP Pro and XP Home , no problems that I'm aware of - but then I'm pretty anal about antivirus and antispyware software .
--
Snag

And avoid using XP Internet Explorer under (almost) all circumstances.
--sp
--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

I agree. IE8 comes up short so often that I abandoned it on my one XP machine. I run Firefox on that one, and it runs fine.
That machine is a Dell netbook with 32 GB of SSD and no hard drive. I use it travelling and I store no files on it. When I come home from using it, I wipe the SSD clean and reload the entire OS and the few applications I use on it. I spent many hours a few years ago stripping down XP to the essentials, and I can reload everything from an external hard drive in five minutes (an image file), or from a CD in about 10 minutes.
--
Ed Huntress

A CD??
I had to strip out MS Office, OpenOffice and the .pdf reader to fit a bootable Acronis restore image of XP onto a single-sided DVD.
-jsw
| A CD?? | | I had to strip out MS Office, OpenOffice and the .pdf reader to fit a | bootable Acronis restore image of XP onto a single-sided DVD. |
I also have CD disk images. (BootIt. I've never used Acronis.) I only have 5 GB for my C drive altogether, in normal use. I keep data on data partitions. XP alone is about 1 GB, so a typical disk imaging program can create an image file of about 500 MB. That means one can add about 500 MB of software and still get it onto a CD.
A lot of software is getting very bloated these days, and Microsoft led the way with MS Office. But if one avoids bloat there's plenty of room in 500 MB.
With Win7, though, I'd agree. That's a mess and would take some work to squeeze onto a single DVD.
On Mon, 2 Nov 2015 12:28:56 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"

Sure. I have to use those old things for *something*! <g>

This is a bootable Acronis disk. It's around 350 MB, and I think it has an old version of Firefox on it, and maybe a free WP. My netbook is giving me a "disk error" message or I'd check.
I'd put a copy in my Dropbox, and invite you to download, except I think you're using dial-up, right?
I stripped off all of the backup files and a ton of other junk that I don't remember. I spent most of a day researching the Web to see what I could safely delete. The backup files, alone, knock the OS size in half.
--
Ed Huntress

Usually I just clone the master hard drive to a 'sandbox' one from my flea market collection, and update the master when the AV changes versions. The DVD is to restore the OS after a serious infection by booting it from a read-only drive.
On 11/02/2015 09:00 AM, Spehro Pefhany wrote:
[snip]

About the only time I use any version of Internet Explorer is to see how my website looks on it.
Firefox is better (and you can still use the latest version on XP).
--
53 days until the winter celebration (Friday December 25, 2015 12:00:00
AM for 1 day).
On 10/31/2015 12:20 AM, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:

No security issues with XP? Seriously?
ROFLMAO!
Best troll ever!
Serge wrote:

Really ? I'm also an XP user , and I have no security issues - because I have good AV and AS software . It also helps if you don't troll places that are likely to try to ddownload a virus . And just where did Snuffy say he had no issues with XP ? He's using Win2000 , you idiot . -- Snag

I am still using XP and have no security issues with Win2000.

Win XP has had over 10 years to plug the security issues and still has problems. Just think how many that a newer system may have.
I gave up on worring about security issues years ago. I run a virus checker and sometimes other programs to check on the computer. I have an external hard drive and make up a backup of the computer every couple of months. Also the pictures and documents are backed up on CDs or DVDs. I usually have 2 or 3 computers around incase one of them craps out. Just get one off ebay for around $ 100 to $ 150 and keep both of them with about the same things on them.
On 10/31/2015 8:57 AM, Serge wrote:

Depends on how you use it. We have an XP computer at work for the past five years with no AV on it. Never had a problem. It sends an email a couple of times a day, no other internet access is needed or used.
In

I haven't had any security issues, but I read that since XP is no longer supported there can be security issues because there are no more security updates coming out for XP.
I was able to keep MSE antivirus, and maybe that helps.
My main point about choosing W7 over XP, if you have an option, is just that W7 works well and seems very stable (like XP always was), and W7 can still receive security updates and can be upgraded to W10 for free until July of 2016.
On 30 Oct 2015, "Snuffy \"Hub Cap\" McKinney"

I used Pegasus Mail (http://www.pmail.com /) for decades on all Microsoft OSs from Windows 3.1 onward. I'm sure it will work with Windows 2000. It's a little quirky, and I don't like its IMAP implementation, but for POP3 it works very well. It has the best filtering features of any email client I've tried.
Nowadays I mostly use Thunderbird. I have a feeling it requires XP or later, but I'm not sure of that.
On 10/30/2015 04:30 PM, Nil wrote:

Thunderbird 38.3.0 requires XP SP2 or above. 12.0.1 is the last 2000 version:
http://mozilla-thunderbird.software.informer.com/download/
Nil wrote:

I've run T-Bird since it came out. No issues except I don't like the tabbed mail so actually dug up an OLD version (2.0) to use. This version can run on pretty much any windows machine from an old 98 box to windows 10. No issues at all and setting it up is easy really.
--
Steve W.

On 10/30/2015 2:43 PM, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:

My favorite is Thunderbird. I use it on a few different computers so I use Thunderbird Portable on a thumb drive. Easy to set up, easy to use. Free too. https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/
On 10/30/2015 2:43 PM, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:

I was totally pleased with the virus magnet OE, until some how my browser got updated, and that made OE no longer work. Window Live Mail was a PIA, and I went to Thunderbird. I don't much like it, but is some what functional.