Semi-OT: Email Program

Don't be afraid of Windows 7. It's actually very good and stable. I regret updating to Windows 10 recently though.
I switched from a client side email program to Gmail several years ago. Webmail is far more convenient and reliable than backing up the email fails myself. I can also check it anywhere, and since most of us use smartphones now it just makes way more sense.
On 10/31/2015 05:53 PM, badgolferman wrote:

I've had no problems with 7. Microsoft is really starting to annoy me though. I uninstalled all the Windows 10 related patches, his them, and so forth and the damn Windows 10 ad is back. I uninstalled KB whatever again.
Supposedly they're going to get even more persistent in the future.
rbowman wrote:

Already starting, the new updates for all windows flavors include the "Switch to Win 10" taskbar tag.
--
Steve W.

Yeah. At least it's pushed me off dead center to start learning Freecad. Once I hit some level of proficiency, I'm dumping windows entirely. The only app I have left that isn't native to Linux anyway is a Corel graphics package.
To the original poster, I run tbird on W7. Works great.
Pete Keillor
Someone mentioned Thunderbird for Windows 2000. I can't find that posting and also can't find a verision that works on 2000 on the thunderbird website. Any help appreciated!
in message Folks, these are the two best groups on usenet for real practical help, so pls pardon the semi-OT post.
Let me start out by saying I have been happy with Windows and Outlook Express for 20 years until now. I have 2000 on this computer and no serious problems or plans to change OS, except now Outlook Express is acting up. I won't go into the sob story, but I need to install a 3rd part email program. If it won't work with 2000, I'll change to XP, but won't install 7 or 8.
I'd rather ask you fellers and fellerettes instead of the computer groups because I need "practical" advice that I can install in one hour or less and not tie up several weekends trying to set it up and download updates.
Thanks in advance!! Happy Friday!!! It's 5 o'clock somewhere!!
Snuffy
On 11/9/15 12:00 PM, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:

Try here
http://www.oldapps.com/thunderbird.php?system=Windows_2000

wrote in message Folks, these are the two best groups on usenet for real practical help, so pls pardon the semi-OT post.
Let me start out by saying I have been happy with Windows and Outlook Express for 20 years until now. I have 2000 on this computer and no serious problems or plans to change OS, except now Outlook Express is acting up. I won't go into the sob story, but I need to install a 3rd part email program. If it won't work with 2000, I'll change to XP, but won't install 7 or 8.
I'd rather ask you fellers and fellerettes instead of the computer groups because I need "practical" advice that I can install in one hour or less and not tie up several weekends trying to set it up and download updates.
Thanks in advance!! Happy Friday!!! It's 5 o'clock somewhere!!
Try Thunderbird 12.
Snuffy

Thanks again! I checked the old apps site and they claim versions up to at least 31 are compatitble with 2000. Is there an advantage to going with 12 over the later ones?
wrote in message

Thanks again! I checked the old apps site and they claim versions up to at least 31 are compatitble with 2000. Is there an advantage to going with 12 over the later ones?
======== http://kb.mozillazine.org/Unsupported_operating_systems "Windows 2000 and XP SP1 are no longer supported starting with Firefox 13 and Thunderbird 13 due to Mozilla moving to the Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 compiler."
On 11/9/2015 2:45 PM, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:

[big snip]

Thunderbird is a constantly evolving and improving product. If they claim versions through 31 will work with W2K, why not give it a try. I've been with Tbird for ages and I have yet to see them roll out a version where it had me saying "Crap! I wish they'd leave well enough alone. Now they've screwed it up."
So go big or go home. Try 31 and if it doesn't work or you don't like it, no biggie. Just go back and load an older version.
It costs you nothing but a little (very little, actually) time to load the different version.
Unquestionably Confused wrote:

Seamonkey is also compatible with W2K. Browser. mail and news net server. I've been using it long time. Now at release version, 2.39
wrote in alt.home.repair:

I sort of agree, but not completely. Thunderbird keeps adding features that I have no interest in, such as Lightning (calendar) and chat. Fortunately, those features are fairly easy to disable. I like the core program and continue to use it.
I use Pale Moon on a couple of my computers. PM is basically TBird, minus some of the bloat.

An issue with Thunderbird for people that receive and keep lots of email is that there is a 4GB limit on the size of a folder, at least with the standard 32-bit build.
alt.home.repair:

Would that not be an issue with any email client running on a 32-bit Windows OS?
A 64-bit edition of Thunderbird was recently released.

Is it an official build? There have been various "unofficial" 64-bit releases available but those always seemed to be old versions.
Roger Blake wrote:

It is an official build BUT it isn't completely ready for prime time. Still has a couple issues.
--
Steve W.

alt.home.repair:

That must be why Mozilla isn't promoting it and are keeping it somewhat hidden on their site. I tried to find it to answer this thread, but I couldn't find it. I did find it before and have it installed on my laptop, and it seems to be working just fine. I haven't noticed any issues yet, though I haven't put it under any real stress yet.
On 11/11/2015 2:54 AM, Nil wrote:

Thunderbird test reply: :-) -jsw
Jim Wilkins wrote:

Common Core Reply - Blue Shadows because it's pink.....
--
Steve W.