Semi-OT: Email Program

[snip]

About the only time I use any version of Internet Explorer is to see how my website looks on it.

Firefox is better (and you can still use the latest version on XP).

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Sure. I have to use those old things for *something*!

This is a bootable Acronis disk. It's around 350 MB, and I think it has an old version of Firefox on it, and maybe a free WP. My netbook is giving me a "disk error" message or I'd check.

I'd put a copy in my Dropbox, and invite you to download, except I think you're using dial-up, right?

I stripped off all of the backup files and a ton of other junk that I don't remember. I spent most of a day researching the Web to see what I could safely delete. The backup files, alone, knock the OS size in half.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

I haven't had any security issues, but I read that since XP is no longer supported there can be security issues because there are no more security updates coming out for XP.

I was able to keep MSE antivirus, and maybe that helps.

My main point about choosing W7 over XP, if you have an option, is just that W7 works well and seems very stable (like XP always was), and W7 can still receive security updates and can be upgraded to W10 for free until July of

2016.
Reply to
TomR

Usually I just clone the master hard drive to a 'sandbox' one from my flea market collection, and update the master when the AV changes versions. The DVD is to restore the OS after a serious infection by booting it from a read-only drive.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Someone mentioned Thunderbird for Windows 2000. I can't find that posting and also can't find a verision that works on 2000 on the thunderbird website. Any help appreciated!

"Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com... Folks, these are the two best groups on usenet for real practical help, so pls pardon the semi-OT post.

Let me start out by saying I have been happy with Windows and Outlook Express for 20 years until now. I have 2000 on this computer and no serious problems or plans to change OS, except now Outlook Express is acting up. I won't go into the sob story, but I need to install a 3rd part email program. If it won't work with 2000, I'll change to XP, but won't install 7 or 8.

I'd rather ask you fellers and fellerettes instead of the computer groups because I need "practical" advice that I can install in one hour or less and not tie up several weekends trying to set it up and download updates.

Thanks in advance!! Happy Friday!!! It's 5 o'clock somewhere!!

Snuffy

Reply to
Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney

Try here

Retired

Let me start out by saying I have been happy with Windows and Outlook Express for 20 years until now. I have 2000 on this computer and no serious problems or plans to change OS, except now Outlook Express is acting up. I won't go into the sob story, but I need to install a 3rd part email program. If it won't work with 2000, I'll change to XP, but won't install 7 or 8.

I'd rather ask you fellers and fellerettes instead of the computer groups because I need "practical" advice that I can install in one hour or less and not tie up several weekends trying to set it up and download updates.

Thanks in advance!! Happy Friday!!! It's 5 o'clock somewhere!!

Try Thunderbird 12.

Snuffy

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

posting and also can't find a verision that works on 2000 on the thunderbird website. Any help appreciated!

help, so pls pardon the semi-OT post.

Outlook Express for 20 years until now. I have 2000 on this computer and no serious problems or plans to change OS, except now Outlook Express is acting up. I won't go into the sob story, but I need to install a 3rd part email program. If it won't work with 2000, I'll change to XP, but won't install 7 or 8.

groups because I need "practical" advice that I can install in one hour or less and not tie up several weekends trying to set it up and download updates.

Thanks!

Reply to
Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney

Thanks again! I checked the old apps site and they claim versions up to at least 31 are compatitble with 2000. Is there an advantage to going with 12 over the later ones?

Reply to
Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney

Thanks again! I checked the old apps site and they claim versions up to at least 31 are compatitble with 2000. Is there an advantage to going with 12 over the later ones?

=========

"Windows 2000 and XP SP1 are no longer supported starting with Firefox

13 and Thunderbird 13 due to Mozilla moving to the Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 compiler."
Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Thunderbird is a constantly evolving and improving product. If they claim versions through 31 will work with W2K, why not give it a try. I've been with Tbird for ages and I have yet to see them roll out a version where it had me saying "Crap! I wish they'd leave well enough alone. Now they've screwed it up."

So go big or go home. Try 31 and if it doesn't work or you don't like it, no biggie. Just go back and load an older version.

It costs you nothing but a little (very little, actually) time to load the different version.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Seamonkey is also compatible with W2K. Browser. mail and news net server. I've been using it long time. Now at release version, 2.39

Reply to
Tony Hwang

On 09 Nov 2015, Unquestionably Confused wrote in alt.home.repair:

I sort of agree, but not completely. Thunderbird keeps adding features that I have no interest in, such as Lightning (calendar) and chat. Fortunately, those features are fairly easy to disable. I like the core program and continue to use it.

I use Pale Moon on a couple of my computers. PM is basically TBird, minus some of the bloat.

Reply to
Nil

An issue with Thunderbird for people that receive and keep lots of email is that there is a 4GB limit on the size of a folder, at least with the standard 32-bit build.

Reply to
Roger Blake

On 09 Nov 2015, Nil wrote in alt.home.repair:

Sorry, I misspoke here - I use Fossamail instead of Thunderbird on some computers. Pale Moon is a varient of Mozilla Firefox.

Reply to
Nil

On 09 Nov 2015, Roger Blake wrote in alt.home.repair:

Would that not be an issue with any email client running on a

32-bit Windows OS?

A 64-bit edition of Thunderbird was recently released.

Reply to
Nil

I really don't like the new calendar that's been added to TB or the chat option. How do I disable them?

Reply to
Muggles

[snip]

TOOLS>OPTIONS>CHAT> uncheck everything. It's pretty intuitive

TOOLS>OPTIONS>CALENDAR> same deal.

If the Calendar tab is showing just close it by clicking on the "X" in the right corner of the tab. To open it back up, either click Ctrl+Shift+C or use the drop down under EVENTS & TASKS.

I rather like the Calendar implementation in a business setting. It syncs with the calendar on my smart phone as well as my Google Calendar. I can, but don't, give access to associates or the office manager and she could plug in items for me. Pretty slick and FREE!

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

On 10 Nov 2015, Muggles wrote in alt.home.repair:

To disable the, go to Tools | Add-Ons | Extensions and disable Lightning. If you're never going to use it, uninstall it completely, like I did.

To disable Chat, go to Tools | Options | Advanced | General | Config Editor. Search for the key mail.chat.enabled and change its value to False.

Reply to
Nil

Is it an official build? There have been various "unofficial" 64-bit releases available but those always seemed to be old versions.

Reply to
Roger Blake