It's an APU Jim, but not as we know it!

SEM dropped on the doormat this morning and something which caught my eye in the brief flick through before heading off to work, was a short
article on an interesting little engine apparently used to provide electrical power on airships. I noted down the web address given for pics of more surviving examples and here it is:- http://www.bungartz.nl/siemmotor-m2_d.html If the flat belt pullies in evidence are original, it must have been quite an unusual airborne installation!
Nick H

This about the third go - bloody unreadable heiroglyphics need to be ttranslated to reply. Will probably be the last time I ever use this group at this rate.
Was it hydrogen or petrol ? Steve

What??? Nick's post is quite readable and in plain text on my machine, or are you talking about something else??
Peter -- Peter & Rita Forbes Email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk http://www.oldengine.org/members/diesel http://www.stationary-engine.co.uk http://www.oldengine.co.uk
Steve wrote:

The the engine in the video clip (owner Roland Servais) is the same one as in SEM and certainly appears to have a petrol carb. Is it likely that an airship would have used its own lifting gas as fuel?
Don't understand your comment re heiroglphics - I didn't use so much as an emoticon in the post!
Nick H

When I try and reply it says "Validation : For verification purpose please type the characters you see in the picture below". Then it gives some screwed up unreadable garbage and you are supposed to try and figure out what the letters are. Heaven help you if you mistake a distorted zero for an 'o', or a capital 'I' for a '1'.
So here we go again - but this time I have copied the text so I can paste it again and again until I finally guess what the random garbage is.
Steve

Steve:
That doesn't sound like Usenet at all!
Sounds like you have got tangled up with some web stuff there somewhere?
Usenet access, via something like Agent or even Outlook Express, would not require you to jump through hoops like that.
Peter -- Peter & Rita Forbes Email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk http://www.oldengine.org/members/diesel http://www.stationary-engine.co.uk http://www.oldengine.co.uk
Peter A Forbes wrote:

No, no validation thingies here, though I have seen them on other forums - ususally dissapear one you are registered.
Nick H

Now this is really weird - I am registered and logged in, and accessing this via my Firefox browser. And beneath the text I am typing is another one of those mangled words that you have to type in to prevent automated posting. When this upset me was when it took 4 or 5 tries to enter the letters and each time failed. Yet a moment ago I was replying to another post and thought - oh no ! the same thing again, well forget it, and I hit post without typing the decoded letters and the message was posted.
So it seems to be a spoof security feature, that keeps registered users out if you attempt to follow the commands, but doesn't if you ignore it. So I am just about to ignore it again, to test this feature. So if you see this then the tip is - if you see it, then ignore it.
Steve
Steve wrote:

Are you posting through a web based portal (Eg Google Groups) or direct to a Usenet server (Eg news.individual.net)? The latter tends to be a deal more faff free once set up and if you are a Mozilla fan, Thunderbird has a usenet client.
Nick H

I am just using http://groups.google.com I don't know any other way. I thought a portal was a window in a boat and Thunderbirds were wooden puppets - do you have to go on a computer degree course to talk to people using this stuff ? How much more complicated is it going to get when the providers crawl out of the 1970s and realise people what to post pictures too?
I have a full Office 2003 installation on Win 2000, if Outlook supports a better form of access to these groups, then let me know. However I only use web-based mail, so Outlook is unused (and Outlook Express doesn't work, could be due to Outlook 2003 or my Zone Alarm Firewall).
I am thinking of debunking to Linux as IMHO Microsoft have lost the plot, I lost 10 hours last week trying to sort out a clash between a Microsoft .NET2 update and Microsoft Visual Studio update - jees - they come from the same firm and are SO incompatible. Over the years they have completely corrupted the tight NT kernel ideal by trying to screw Netscape, and then bringing in the .NET rubbish.
So it is Apple or Linux for me - Vista is a bloated Sumo wrestler in a Walt Disney costume.
Of course that just my opinion tonight - maybe tomorrow I will not be so kind to Microsoft - today I am in a good mood as my Marcos only failed its MOT on two minor counts, and I thought it might be off the road for the summer - wooppee !
And - very strangeley -at this point there is no sign that I have to retype some bastardised character sequence to post this ... curious !
Steve
Steve wrote:

I'm no computer whizz and perhaps 'portal' is the wrong word, but it is the equivalent of using webmail rather than linking direct to a conventional mail server with OE or whatever. I mentioned Thunderbird as you are using Firefox so I thought you might be a Mozilla fan. BTW. Text only usenet groups such as this are great on handheld devices - battery hungry wireless on briefly to download messages, wireless off to read and compose replies, wireless on again for a few seconds to post replies!

We've just gone over to Outlook at work and if it has a usenet client I can't find it, hence my current use of Thunderbird. Works for me (apart from the spellcheck!), ask your ISP for details of their usenet server and try it.

I don't understand Microsoft. I think all that the majority of users want is to plug stuff in and have it work properly straight out of the box - it seems that just as soon as we get anywhere near that point, Microsoft add a bunch of new 'features' and bugger it all up again

Love the description of Vista, but my impression of Linux in its various forms is that it is really only for the computer geek community which delights in its obscurity and inpenetrability to 'ousiders'.

No woodworm then?

Cheers
Nick H
Hello Nick and Steve, Linux has been on the point of being widely adopted for too many years. What might tip it into the mainstream is the new generation of ultra portable reasonably priced laptops such as the Asus Eee. I've recently bought one of these and it's brilliant. It found my wireless router without any problems, the web browser (Firefox) set itself up with the minimum of intervention and web mail was a doddle. I've used OpenOffice for years in preference to the bloated and expensive MS Office, and this is easy to use on the Eee. There are still annoyances with the particular version of Linux used - changing the date format from US to UK format involves going into terminal mode and running in command line mode - but I suspect demand will result in a more easily tweakable OS. Regards, Richard PS I have no trouble reading this newsgroup's messages using Firefox on my desktop PC running Windows XP. Nick H wrote:

Another totally hi-jacked thread and all my fault ! Sorry.
People say nice things about usability of Apple computers and I think the Apple OS is Unix-based. However I think we need something newer. Maybe IBM should resurrect OS/2 - that was killed by competition from NT, not by any fundamental defect that I could spot.
I shall look into Thunderbird ... I am impressed with Firefox - except that it keeps offering me updates to the US dictionary, when I don't have US English installed.
Whatever caused the security code prompt to keep appearing, it has gone. Maybe I was listed somewhere as a dodgy character and my slate is now wiped clean.
Steve

I think you will find that there is Outlook, and Outlook Express, two entirely different programmes.
Outlook is part of the Office suite of programmes, Outlook Express is a mail and usenet client.
HTH
Peter -- Peter A Forbes Prepair Ltd, Rushden, UK snipped-for-privacy@prepair.co.uk http://www.prepair.co.uk http://www.prepair.eu