Problems on USENET ?

Has there been any problems with posting on USENET or is it Google again ?

Reply to
Dragon Heart

Comments on uk.railway say it was gogle, but everyone has gone to bed early tonight.

Cheers, Simon.

Reply to
simon

Thanks Simon

Did you go to Mickleover show last weekend ? Son had a great time :-)

Chris

Reply to
Dragon Heart

Several posters on other groups have said there are problems with google.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

Certainly did, so did 'he', especially after pursuading them to let him help with controlling the long hilly layout. THey were wonderful with him - especially Roy. Ever been to the Erewash Valley Model Engineering Society ? We went a couple of weeks ago as LNWR society were present. The Tot rode behind every engine and even got a chance to drive one (was only a GWR one though). I had a ride behind a Claughton - wow that was an experience. One of the friendliest bunch you could ever wish to meet - plus the cakes were delicious. They have a santa special early in december when kids get lots of rides. Well worth visiting.

You going to Kirkby-in-Ashfield this weekend ?

Cheers, Simon

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

One could always try a real news server.

Reply to
MartinS

There are always problems with Google Groups even if it works.

Reply to
Erik Olsen

If you used a proper isp you would have no trouble at all!

Reply to
alan.holmes

Erewash Valley Model Engineering Society, that's the one just off the A52. No but might be worth a visit as he liked the ones at Ruddington.

We may go to Wirksworth Model Railway Exhibition this weekend.

Like last year you get a reduced rate ride on the real loco's incl in the price.

Dragon Heart

"One could always try a real news server."

Thank you Martin :-)

Reply to
Dragon Heart

... and what's a 'proper isp' when it's at home ?

Reply to
Dragon Heart

I'd like to visit Wirksworth, but his lordship isnt keen on sitting still in the car for that distance. Perhaps should accidently leave him behind :-)

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

... and what's a 'proper isp' when it's at home ?

==============

I think he probably means one that supports a news server so that you can use a stand alone program (Outlook Express is the obvious one but there are others like 40tude dialog). Thing is, there are stand alone news servers (explained a la Wikipedia here

which you can subscribe to separately and should be able to access irrespective of ISP so subscribing to a "proper" ISP isn't the only way of avoiding Google.

Reply to
Graham Harrison

I avoid Micro$oft Outlook Express even more than Google. I use Xnews.

Reply to
MartinS

Did I say I like OE? :-) I use it for text posting but any binaries I use 40tude. YMMV

Reply to
Graham Harrison

I had to use outlook cos had a company PC, but now got my own outlook isnt bad enough to give me the momentum to swap for anything else. However have been working with Ubunto recently and am very tempted to use that instead of vista just as soon as time permits. The point being that IMO outlook isnt that bad.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

I think you'll find that Outlook does not of itself include a newsreader. In the past one could call up the Outlook Express newsreader through Outlook. [Remember that Outlook is one program, a component of MS Office, whereas Outlook Express was a separate program which came bundled with Internet Explorer as part of Windows.]

Outlook Express will not run under Windows 7, and its replacement is Windows Live Mail.

Reply to
David Biddulph

Poor little chap :-( It's only about an hour and a bit for you ?

Pity the Midland Railway Model @ The Silk Mill in Derby was not running too, you could have split the trip. They are running the week after.

Wirksworth was the 1st show we took our son to, got most of the layout track 2nd hand from the stall's plus one or two loco's. Still got an 0-6-0 with smoke unit that needs putting together again ... just needs a new smoke coil.

Just been informed we may not go as it's the same weekend as his youth club event, it's up to him !

Reply to
Dragon Heart

Newsreaders !

This is one of those PC v Mac or Amiga v Atari things

Google is not perfect ..... but what is ? Each to their own :-)

I use Google cus it gives me free web space for my site.

Reply to
Dragon Heart

Oh heck, have been pedanted ! I used to use Outlook for years, this looks like outlook, works much like outlook, its called windows mail. You can substitute outlook or windows mail above and the comments remain. :-)

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon