Help Identifying Bolt

I have 2 bolts on the over arms of my Clausing 8540 Horizontal Mill. I thought at first they were Torx T-60's but I bought one and it is too small. It looks just like a Torx head but has about twice the amount of teeth for the bit to go into. Anyone have any idea what type of bolt head this is? I called Clausing and they said they did not know? I checked the manual and no luck either. It identifies them as 1/2"-13 nuts??? Apparently Torx only goes up to a T60 so it has to be something else. Thanks, Steve

Reply to
Sierevello

Maybe a Bristol Spline? Here is a picture

edard

Try a 12 point socket.

Wayne Cook Shamrock, TX

Wayne Cook

If you are talking about a bolt with a head like the end of the Torx wrench, not the socket, then it may be akin to what I have seen many times on high-vacuum systems (made and sold by Varian). The bolts were stainless steel (to survive the bakeout process without rusting), and had a head which fit a 12-point box wrench. There was a shoulder on the head to keep the ring of the wrench from contacting whatever was being bolted.

The ones which I saw were smaller than yours, with 5/16" thread being the biggest, with 1/4" being the other size, but I suspect that such heads are available in larger sizes and other materials.

I suspect that these were not the *original* bolts on that machine, and those would be more likely to be Allen style SCHS or even pure hex heads.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in news:1104543633.539620.306790 @c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

7/16 or 1/2 star
Reply to
Anthony

The two bolts that clamp the overarms?

They are capscrews on my 8540. Allen wrench works just fine. If need be, Ill go out and pull one and check the thread.

Gunner

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

- John Stewart Mill

Reply to
Gunner

It may be a spline type fastener. The last set I bought for the big end bolts on motorcycle rods was purchased at sears.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

Could be triple-square, if someone has installed metric bolts.

12-point, come in lots of sizes.
Dale Scroggins
Reply to
Dale Scroggins

What's the P/N in the manual? I have the manual and the mill (sorta) so I can check here given that info.

If these are the two bolts on the top of the housing that are used to clamp the two overarms in place, they *should* be standard SHCS.

Reply to
Mike Henry