Help please w/ electromagnetic slip clutch

Most AC motors (the ones without brushes) will brake if you feed 'em some DC. Steppers (but they cog), shaded-pole, or hysteresis types, all have a rotor without driven windings, and DC on the stator makes them into brakes.

Reply to
whit3rd

This gets you back to something that brakes proportionally to speed, though.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

I thoughty they only braked while spinning and once stopped there is no braking force. I ordered some MR fluid and will try making my own magnetorheological brake. Eric

Reply to
etpm

That is true for AC motors. For steppers, since they have a permanent magnet rotor, the braking continues, but things are a bit rough until it gets to a stop. Perhaps sense the speed, and when it comes close enough to a stop, switch from AC motor to stepper. (Make things biggern than you want. :-)

Have fun with that -- and let us know how it goes.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

I'm looking forward to finding out myself. I looked online for small quantities but couldn't find any. Looked on ebay with no luck and then a couple days later some showed up. It sounds like the perfect stuff for my needs. Eric

Reply to
etpm