Help with transmission ID

Figured I'd try here first since this is a very savy group and it is metal related, transmissions are made of metal:) My father built himself a loader several years back based on a vehicle that he never saw complete, meaning he got it as a bare frame with wheels, motor and trani. He knows its a Dodge/Chrysler 4x4, thinks its 3/4 ton and guesses its from 70 to 75. The current problem is that the transmsission failed and he wants to get another to drop in but no one seems to have one or can tell him exactly what model to look for. Its an Automatic with the numbers 260-7 cast onto the housing and a longer number punched or cast in that is 2301260-7. I'm guessing that the 260-7 is the shorthand name for the trani and the longer number is its complete model number. There is also what apears to be a small oval below the larger number with either a 'K P' in or at least a 'P' on the right inside it. The biggest problem with looking online or calling up yards is that they all want to know the make and model of the vehicle and that isn't possible any more. Anyone know what I can ask specifically for that will get me in the right ballpark for the trani or perhaps someone knows what model/year of truck had these in?? I tried googling but nothing came up for the 2301260-7 and the 260-7 brought up all kinds of stuff but none related to automotive transmissions.

Thanks

Bill

Reply to
Bill

At least in my part of the country, you can just take it in to a yard with one of those old car experts for show&tell. Say, "I think this fits in a '72 dodge 3/4 ton 4x4, you got one?" If you're lucky enough to be within a few days drive of Central Minnesota, stop by Rohner's of Wilmar. The owner there has everything, knows exactly where it is, will tell you if you got something else and what it is. And the quickest way to get it out of the salvage car. For a few compliments, he'll even help.

Bet there's a guy like this around you. Go find him.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

The casting numbers aren't very useful for identifying the transmission but the number is more likely 2(8)01260 which would date from around 1967-1968.

If it's in a 4x4 it's an A727 Torqueflite but, to be sure, find the stamped part number in the case just above the pan gasket on the drivers side. This page can be used to find the application:

John Kunkel

Take a look at the bolt pattern on the pan and go to a parts store. Most have a chart with trans ID by pan gasket like this link.

'transmission%20pan%20gasket%20ID'

Reply to
Steve Peterson